• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very complex separation/divorce....give it a shot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stapleto

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

My husband and I have been married for 3 1/2 years. We met in college while he was a divorced and raising 3 kids and I was pregnent (by another man), then married within a few months. After our marriage, both he and myself had my daughter's birth certificate changed to state that he is the father, even though we both knew he wasn't- but since he was there for her since her birth.... I have recently moved out of the house into an apartment and still trying to remain in a approachable, open communictaion relationship. However, he keeps stating how I am trying to keep my daughter away from him. I have told him that if continues to be hostile, that I will take necessary actions to minimize his influence in her life. Please tell me what his rights are and what can be done, if anything, to change it.

Furthermore, my husband never worked while we were married and only recently got a job. I worked. His credit is terrible (he just filed bankrupt, though), while mine is still good. We have 2 vehicles, which I am sure will be split evenly. Can you tell me if I will be held accountable for any of his remaining "baggage" including the fact that he will likely be paying 50% of his income in child-support (as his children have since since moved in with their mother, and another child)- meaning he will barely be able to support himself, and one of his kids is going to college in the Fall, his $30k student loans, etc... Right now, we are doing a trial separation, but if things do not pan out, I am jumping ship...too much stress for me!

In addition, we do not have any credit accounts together, and the house is in his name only (and his ex-wife- he never removed her name). So, can I just put all of this behind me and pretend it never happened?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">