• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very Confusing...need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StardustedRaven

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

My fiancee is in jail, awaiting to be transported to prison. He recently filed for an uncontested divorce from his wife. He has not seen her in 4 years, and they never lived together. I talked to the courthouse, and the county attorney and both said that he would not stay in county jail until the court date, nor would he be transported back here for court so the divorce could be finalized. He said that he should be able to get a power of attorney so i can go to court and speak on his behalf but i'm not sure if this is true or not. Is there any advice that you could give me on this matter?? :confused:

mistoffolees

1. You don't have a fiancee. He is a married man and can not be legally engaged to anyone else until he is divorced.

2. He can not give you power of attorney to represent him in a divorce. He can hire an attorney. In some states, he can get a divorce without appearing, but not everywhere.

3. You need to stay as far away as possible. Nothing good would ever come from having a new girlfriend involved in a divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">