• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very Messy Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nik817

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida

My husband and I married in 2003 and are separated for the third time in two years. In addition to physical abuse, he is emotionaly and verbally abusive. We owned a home together that we sold last year during a separation and split the profits equally. I plan to get a divorce, and have several questions:

1) When filing taxes this year I plan to file married filing separately. How much of the profits from the sale of the house am I responsible for? I ask because my husband will not be filing. He filed jointly with me last year for the first time in 13 years. He has been receiving IRS notices for past tax years and ignoring them.

2) At his insistance I returned all the jewelry he gave me as gifts. Do I have a claim to them? He retained all gifts that I gave him.

3) He has called my work and left messages for my supervisor, posing as a customer. He first said that I acted "very inappropriately", and should be fired. When my boss called him back (he left his cell number) he claimed again to be a customer, but had thought about it and wanted to drop the whole thing. He called again the next day claiming to be the same customer and left a message that I should be fired because I have a very bad drug problem. I am routinely drug tested at work, so they know this is not true. What legal action can I take?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">