• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video/Audio Taping in Marital Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KenK

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My spouse and I are divorcing but we are still living in the marital home together with our children. Can my spouse use hidden video or audio equipment to tape in the home without my knowledge/ consent?

CJane

Yes, of course he CAN..whether or not any of your recorded activities would be admissible in court is another question.

KenK

Clarification

Apparently I did not word my question correctly. Is it legal for a co-owner & resident of a home to secretly tape the other owner & resident without consent? If so can the taping party tape anywhere in the home or would bathrooms, bedrooms (places where private functions occur) be off limits?

quincy

KenK - It is illegal for anyone in Michigan to videotape another person in a place where this other person should reasonably expect privacy unless ALL people involved are aware they are being videotaped. It is a felony punishable by up to 2 years in state prison or $2000 or both. Audio-taping is not illegal if at least one person knows they are being audio-taped and the person audio-taping is a participant in the conversation - "eavesdropping" (where the audio-taper is not a participant) IS, however, illegal.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">