• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VISA problem and restrictions, leading to marriage failure(?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarahdgc

What is the name of your state? MA

Hi. I am a filipina who married an american citizen in MA, USA. The marriage took place last Dec 23, 2004. Unfortunately, it was only now that we realized that he is not qualified to sponsor me to become a permanent US resident (income limitations and others). We cannot find co-sponsors too.

I came to the US using my B1/B2 visa and I am allowed up to stay here up to April 24, 2005. My visa expires in Year 2008. My husband already gave up the hope that we can settle his legal and documentary problems by April or in the next years to come. I suggested settling in the Philippines but then again, he is not ready for that too.

We already faced the fact that I may have to go home and then come back later. Since I am an accountant, I may try to look for an employer who could sponsor me.

Somebody said that we might want to pursue annulment so I could still comeback later. My husband and I are devastated. Annulment and divorce is definitely not what we have dreamed of doing.

Does marriage affect my visa? Will I be restricted to come back later?
What are my real options?

Thank you very much for any help that you can provide.

sarah

LdiJ

sarahdgc said:
What is the name of your state? MA

Hi. I am a filipina who married an american citizen in MA, USA. The marriage took place last Dec 23, 2004. Unfortunately, it was only now that we realized that he is not qualified to sponsor me to become a permanent US resident (income limitations and others). We cannot find co-sponsors too.

I came to the US using my B1/B2 visa and I am allowed up to stay here up to April 24, 2005. My visa expires in Year 2008. My husband already gave up the hope that we can settle his legal and documentary problems by April or in the next years to come. I suggested settling in the Philippines but then again, he is not ready for that too.

We already faced the fact that I may have to go home and then come back later. Since I am an accountant, I may try to look for an employer who could sponsor me.

Somebody said that we might want to pursue annulment so I could still comeback later. My husband and I are devastated. Annulment and divorce is definitely not what we have dreamed of doing.

Does marriage affect my visa? Will I be restricted to come back later?
What are my real options?

Thank you very much for any help that you can provide.

sarah
You really need to ask your question on the immigration board. Tell them that we sent you there so there won't be any issues regarding duplicate postings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">