• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wage garnishment for credit card debt...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

afoxylady2

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? KS I have a friend who has spent two years going through a nasty divorce. There were serious financial problems and the parties could not agree so the settlement went to the court. A third party mediator advised them to file bankruptcy....My friend would not because of the damage it would do to his banking career......

The judge said the former husband had to take responsibility for a credit card that belonged solely to the wife..(probably about $30,000)....he was not signed as personally liable on the account...it was not a joint account. He does not have the extra money to make that payment, pay child support and the alimony also. If he does not pay the credit card.....it is about two years since any payment or promise to pay has been made....Will the credit card company be able to put a garnishment on his wages.....or otherwise force him to pay....Please help.....

LdiJ

afoxylady2 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? KS I have a friend who has spent two years going through a nasty divorce. There were serious financial problems and the parties could not agree so the settlement went to the court. A third party mediator advised them to file bankruptcy....My friend would not because of the damage it would do to his banking career......

The judge said the former husband had to take responsibility for a credit card that belonged solely to the wife..(probably about $30,000)....he was not signed as personally liable on the account...it was not a joint account. He does not have the extra money to make that payment, pay child support and the alimony also. If he does not pay the credit card.....it is about two years since any payment or promise to pay has been made....Will the credit card company be able to put a garnishment on his wages.....or otherwise force him to pay....Please help.....
No. the credit card company can't.....however he can be found in contempt, and the debt end up on his credit report anyway....in the form of a judgement from family court. In some ways that can be more damaging than credit card debt.

I suspect that he got to keep certain marital assets in exchange for taking responsiblity for that debt. The family court judge could also force him to sell/liquidate those assets in exchange for not paying the debts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">