• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

waiting period for remarriage??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bobandjess99

Hello. I was just surfing around, reading about stuff, and happened across a page that mentioned a "waiting period" of 6 months, before a divorced person could remarry (I believe this was from Texas, don't quote me on that). I continued surfing and found other states that talked about waiting periods from 90-120 days. My fiance is just finalizing his divorce, and we have totally planned our wedding - for 4 weeks after the final hearing for his divorce!! No one, including his lawyer, has mentioned anything to us about any "waiting period" Now I am frantic and am trying to find out what the heck this waiting period is and whether or not it applies to us. We live in Indiana. If there is a waiting period, is it mandatory, or can we get some sort of exception?? Thanks.

D

dorenephilpot

In Indiana, once you are officially divorced, you are free to marry. There is no "waiting period."

Scheduling your wedding that close after the final hearing is risky, though, given that the court could postpone the hearing because of a schedule conflict, the other side could ask for and get a continuance, whatever.

If you want to move toward a quicker resolution and you think you can agree on the issues, you might want to get a settlement agreement drawn up, signed and submitted to the court before the final hearing date.

Usually a final hearing is saved for cases where a settlement agreement cannot be worked out.

Best of luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">