• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want Divorce. Separated 7 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ccathlene68

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
Hello. I am looking in to finally getting a divorce after having been separated since the year 2000. I would like to use an online service to help me fill out the paperwork since I can't afford an actual attorney. I now live in Minnesota. My husband(seems strange to even call him that) lives in Kansas but I am not sure where he is in Kansas. I am sure that I meet the residency requirements to start a divorce in Minnesota but my question is..... what if I don't know where he is so he can get papers served to him?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
Hello. I am looking in to finally getting a divorce after having been separated since the year 2000. I would like to use an online service to help me fill out the paperwork since I can't afford an actual attorney. I now live in Minnesota. My husband(seems strange to even call him that) lives in Kansas but I am not sure where he is in Kansas. I am sure that I meet the residency requirements to start a divorce in Minnesota but my question is..... what if I don't know where he is so he can get papers served to him?What is the name of your state?
There are only two viable ways to handle this....

1) Either you track him down and get him to sign off on the divorce,

or

2) You hire an attorney, still make a diligent effort to track him down, and if you cannot find him you serve him via publication.

It really would be in your best interest to track him down, because there is always the off chance that he has already divorced you, by serving you via publication.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">