• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to overturn divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

for_deb

To make a long story short: My husband was diagnosed Paranoid Schizophrenic and had many altercations with the Police. He obtained a divorce in 1984 and died in 1989 by jumping from the roof of his mother's apartment building. I have always wanted to have the divorce overturned because of his mental illness but have never been able to. Is there anyway to get this overturned? It would mean a great deal to me and my children.
I almost forgot, he was in New York and I was in South Carolina at the time of the divorce.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

for_deb said:
To make a long story short: My husband was diagnosed Paranoid Schizophrenic and had many altercations with the Police. He obtained a divorce in 1984 and died in 1989 by jumping from the roof of his mother's apartment building. I have always wanted to have the divorce overturned because of his mental illness but have never been able to. Is there anyway to get this overturned? It would mean a great deal to me and my children.
I almost forgot, he was in New York and I was in South Carolina at the time of the divorce.
My response:

Once a decree of dissolution (divorce) has been signed by the judge, and entered into the record, the court has no more jurisdiction over the matter; e.g., it cannot be "overturned" unless there was fraud involved. However, after so many years, there is nothing that can be done.

The divorce does not affect the children in any manner; e.g., the children of the marriage are still entitled to his Estate, among other rights.

The divorce, however, does affect your rights to his Estate; i.e., you're not entitled to his Estate, or any other rights received as a result of the relationship.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">