• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want a separation and he will not leave.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

runway

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Trying to separate from my Husband. We have two young children and we have had problems for years and things are not working out. I have been trying to separate from him and trying to make an agreement with the children (keeping them in our current house and we take turns being here with them). Problem is, he will not agree to anything, he will not leave and is make life hard for me and the children.

Is there anything legally I can do to get him to agree and abide to an agreement. We cannot be under the same roof and he has been getting verbally abusive.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Trying to separate from my Husband. We have two young children and we have had problems for years and things are not working out. I have been trying to separate from him and trying to make an agreement with the children (keeping them in our current house and we take turns being here with them). Problem is, he will not agree to anything, he will not leave and is make life hard for me and the children.

Is there anything legally I can do to get him to agree and abide to an agreement. We cannot be under the same roof and he has been getting verbally abusive.
You can't force him to agree with you....but you can file for divorce and custody and request exclusive use of the marital home.

Antigone*

You can't force him to agree with you....but you can file for divorce and custody and request exclusive use of the marital home.
There is another viable option. Need I mention it ;)

Ok, I will. Mom/wife also has the option of finding a new home.

nextwife

There is another viable option. Need I mention it ;)

Ok, I will. Mom/wife also has the option of finding a new home.
True!

I had an aunt and uncle that were seperated for about a year. She got an apartment nearby, and they alternated monthly, one living at home with the kids and one living in the apartment. That way the kids were not disrupted, and neither parent was forced out of their home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">