• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

want to use my maiden name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rhaley2006

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

It is almost two years after my divorce, after a fifteen years marriage the thought of changing my name never occurred to me since I had carried his for so long. Now I would like to start the New Year out with my own identity. How do I go about changing back to my maiden name?

S

seniorjudge

There are change of name statutes in every jurisdiction, I suspect.

These are (in Missouri, at least) quick and painless. You file a petition with the court, publish it in the newspaper for a couple of weeks, and then you show up for court where the judge gives you a paper with your new name.

Then you contact social security, driver's license, insurance, etc. etc. and give them certified copies of the judgment changing your name. Then you check a year later to make sure they did it.

Some states may even have pro se (do it yourself) changes of name so you can represent yourself in court.

Contact your state bar and ask if they have booklets on this subject.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">