• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wanting to move from Ohio to Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sparkstl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I moved from Texas to Ohio in 2001 with two children. I now have two more children with my Ohio ex-husband (divorced 2005.) My mother and sister who have always been the rock I lean on for help with the kids, including child care and transportation to and from school, are wanting to relocate back to Texas. I am also interested in moving back and want to know if I am legally able to do that. My ex is a good person, but a very bad decision maker and rather unstable with employment. He falls behind on child support, which I have in the past paid for him to myself to keep him from going to jail, losing license, etc. He also would not see the kids per our parenting plan if I didn't provide the transportation both ways and facilitate the visits. What do I have to do to get the court's okay to move out of state. I live in Butler County. My mom and sister have been a constant source of stability in my kids' lives and feel it would be beneficial to maintain close distance with them as they have been more supportive than my exes. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I moved from Texas to Ohio in 2001 with two children. I now have two more children with my Ohio ex-husband (divorced 2005.) My mother and sister who have always been the rock I lean on for help with the kids, including child care and transportation to and from school, are wanting to relocate back to Texas. I am also interested in moving back and want to know if I am legally able to do that. My ex is a good person, but a very bad decision maker and rather unstable with employment. He falls behind on child support, which I have in the past paid for him to myself to keep him from going to jail, losing license, etc. He also would not see the kids per our parenting plan if I didn't provide the transportation both ways and facilitate the visits. What do I have to do to get the court's okay to move out of state. I live in Butler County. My mom and sister have been a constant source of stability in my kids' lives and feel it would be beneficial to maintain close distance with them as they have been more supportive than my exes. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
If you hadn't been paying his child support so he wouldn't go to jail or lose his license, and hadn't been taking over his responsibilities and transporting the children both ways (in other words, enabling him to be a poor parent) you might have had a stronger chance to move to TX.

However, you did that and that means that he has an established relationship with the children that the courts will consider to be far more important than their relationship with your mother and sister.

So, if you want to move to TX is probable that you will need HIS agreement to do so. Figure out a way to get him to agree, or plan to stay in OH.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">