• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wanting out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

movinon

What is the name of your state? California

I have been in a marriage for 16 yrs, one child 10 yrs old. For the past 15 yrs I have been unhappy but was raised to stand by my commitments so that is what I have done. I have now decided that I need to move on and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how it might work.

We bought a house twelve yrs ago. We now have two mortgages on it and the house is in great need of repairs, it is over 100 years old. I have not worked since the child was born 10 years ago because it was cheaper for me to stay home. Although, I went back to college 5 yrs ago and like 1-1/2 yrs until I have my Masters degree. He has been the only one bringing in the money and supporting our household and paying my tuition. I go to school full time so I have to be honest, I don't do the housework or cook because I work really hard to get good grades. He does everything, work full time, laundry, cook and what bit of cleaning that he has time left to do.

There has been no love in the marriage for quite some time and I feel the need to move on. We have discussed it, I will get full custody of the kid. We will sell the house and split the profit, he has a truck, I have a car. How will things work out since I don't work, not that I can't work but will he have to continue to put me through school? Alimony and what %? etc.... Is it possible for him to get a divorce without paying alimony since he is the one that does all of the cleaning, cooking, etc?
All advice is appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">