• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

War Annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Durga0406

Washington State.
I am currently in NY and am 22 years old. I moved to Washington state where my fiance is stationed. He conviced me that we should get married before he deployed. We did so on Nov 4 and he deployed on Nov 15. I am wondering if it is at all possible to have the marriage annulled based on the fact that we were wed under the duress of his deployment. His mental stability has become questionable since his deployment and I don't feel it is best for either of us to remain together. Please advise me on whether or not an annulment is possible and what steps I should take from this point.

Thank You.

rmet4nzkx

While the grounds for annulment in Washington are:
Entering into the marriage as a result of fraud, force or duress, it is unlikely that your circumstances would qualify. Of course he is under stress being deployed to a war zone and this was something you knew prior to marriage, no one forced you to marry and you do benefit from the marriage. If you chose to take legal action, since he is deployed, he can and should invoke the SSCRA which will delay legal action until his return from deployment. My suggestion is to wait until he returns since you will have to wait anyway and don't create more stress while he is deployed and then decide upon his return what course to take.

Durga0406

Obviously you are very patriotic and supportive of our troops at war as am I. There are things about the current situation that I have seen and know about from experience. I do not need to be told by anyone the psychological stresses involved with war. So please, do not take it upon yourself to lecture me on what kinds of stress and how severe these men and women face. I know what is going on in this particular situation while you don't have the faintest idea. And it is quite clear that your advice is seething with disdain for my decisions even thought you are not at all informed of the situation as a whole. If I wanted someone's personal opinion on the matter there are many people I could consult, a lawyer is consulted for legal advice and nothing more. I hope in the future you are able to seperate your legal advice from your personal opinion.

VeronicaGia

Durga0406 said:
Obviously you are very patriotic and supportive of our troops at war as am I. There are things about the current situation that I have seen and know about from experience. I do not need to be told by anyone the psychological stresses involved with war. So please, do not take it upon yourself to lecture me on what kinds of stress and how severe these men and women face. I know what is going on in this particular situation while you don't have the faintest idea. And it is quite clear that your advice is seething with disdain for my decisions even thought you are not at all informed of the situation as a whole. If I wanted someone's personal opinion on the matter there are many people I could consult, a lawyer is consulted for legal advice and nothing more. I hope in the future you are able to seperate your legal advice from your personal opinion.
So since you don't like the response, you have to write a long paragraph slamming the poster for the legal advice given?

Figure it out yourself then.

rmet4nzkx

Once again, you don't have grounds for annulment, divorce will have to wait until he returns.
Have a nice day :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">