• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Washington State Seperation Paperwork

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AlisonSmith

Hi,

I hope someone can point me in the right direction...

Can I legally seperate from my husband without his knowledge? I would like to stay married, but I am concerned with the way he runs up bills, so a legal seperation would protect me and my credit.

Can someone advise what legal forms I am required to submit for a legal seperation? I have searched lots but seem to get conflicting information. I am in Washington State.

If anyone has any experience of this process, I would be interested to hear their stories.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me out!

AS

Silverplum

Can I legally seperate from my husband without his knowledge? I would like to stay married, but I am concerned with the way he runs up bills, so a legal seperation would protect me and my credit.
No, you can't legally pull that trick on him.

He's already done it to you.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

AlisonSmith

OK - thanks for your advice, I just wondered if it was possible to seperate without getting into a fight. I do definitely need to go ahead with the seperation though, so any further advise, or links to the appropriate paperwork would be very welcome.

Thanks again,

AS

AlisonSmith

That would be up to you and your stbx. It's not a legal question.
Sorry I didn't make myself clear - I know it wasn't a legal question - more the ponderings of a curious mind...

I had figured if he didn't know we were legally separated there would be no trouble. If I have to tell him, then so be it. I still need to find the correct paperwork though - if anyone can help, please do.

We have no kids, I don't want his house, but I don't want his ridiculous debts either. I still want to call him my husband, because I (foolishly) believe marriage is for life and I have made my bed, blah blah.

Please can someone point me towards the correct form(s) to file?

Thanks!

LdiJ

Sorry I didn't make myself clear - I know it wasn't a legal question - more the ponderings of a curious mind...

I had figured if he didn't know we were legally separated there would be no trouble. If I have to tell him, then so be it. I still need to find the correct paperwork though - if anyone can help, please do.

We have no kids, I don't want his house, but I don't want his ridiculous debts either. I still want to call him my husband, because I (foolishly) believe marriage is for life and I have made my bed, blah blah.

Thanks!
Try your state government website, and if that isn't helpful try your local courthouse.

mistoffolees

Thanks!
You can file for separation (or divorce) and then have him served with papers. Once one party has filed, it's going to eventually go through. The other party can delay it, but it will eventually happen. So once you file, the writing is on the wall.

You will, however, be responsible for half of marital debt and entitled to half of marital assets - whether you think the debts are ridiculous or not. You will not be responsible for his FUTURE debts, though, if that's what you're referring to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">