• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it a waste of time and money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Maryland

STBX and myself worked out a settlement that we agreed upon. It was taken to the lawyer and drawn up and mailed out for signature. We agreed on amount for me to pay him and I would refinance the current balance on the mortgage in my name only and pay him when I could the amount we agreed upon for him to receive (yes a leap of faith on his part).. He recanted our verbal agreement and now wants full payment 60 days after signing of the separation agreement.. My lawyer now wants to research case law to see if he has to hold to the verbal agreement. Is this a waste of time and money as I see it as a 'he said she said' situation? Thanks for any imput or experience

clueless55 said:
What is the name of your state?Maryland

STBX and myself worked out a settlement that we agreed upon. It was taken to the lawyer and drawn up and mailed out for signature. We agreed on amount for me to pay him and I would refinance the current balance on the mortgage in my name only and pay him when I could the amount we agreed upon for him to receive (yes a leap of faith on his part).. He recanted our verbal agreement and now wants full payment 60 days after signing of the separation agreement.. My lawyer now wants to research case law to see if he has to hold to the verbal agreement. Is this a waste of time and money as I see it as a 'he said she said' situation? Thanks for any imput or experience
I would say it is a waste of time and money, because it was offer made and withdrawn and it can only be enforced if it is written, signed, and approved by the court. There is very little enforcement of marriage on verbal agreements for divorce and very agreements in regards to land. So, I would be disappointed but I personally would not pursue having my attorney do research on that issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">