• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Way to get out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dragracer

S. Carolina
I have been in a common law marriage for about 12 years; what are my options as far as annullment, disalusion, or divorse. There is a house and car in joint ownership.

when you say common law.

S. Carolina
I have been in a common law marriage for about 12 years; what are my options as far as annullment, disalusion, or divorse. There is a house and car in joint ownership.
Are you on your partners insurance (medical/dental/etc)? When your partner does their 401K plan do they sign up as married or single? How about your employment?

Outside of jointly owning a house, car, and being together for the past 12 years; whats makes this a common law marriage in your view?

How do you file your taxes? Married filed Jointly? Single?

If there is nothing binding you together other than your house and car. You could save some money and simply sell the house split the difference, buy the car from your other or sell the car to them or even sell the car and split the difference.

v/r
Soldie First

dragracer

When you say common law

We file jointly, but the last names are different. But we have a joint checking accout; where she added my last name to hers.

dragracer

joint return

I was told by an attorney here in SC that if the two of us can reach an agreement on who gets what, it could be ratified by a court order. Each party would be bound to that agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">