• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We want divorce but have a house in joint name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vikasintl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA state

We are WA state residents and live in pierce county and we want divorce.
We both agree to share half value of the joint house(which is about $100k)
But currently we are not getting good value...so if we sell it now we will get way less than its worth but at the same time we want divorce as soon as possible ...so what should we do about this jointly owned house (we don't have any other joint property)?

Also,currently am not employed so, can I ask my spouse for spousal support and is that
spousal support is monthly amount or its lump sum one time amount? How much money I can get for spousal support per month as my spouse does not have savings to give me lump sum amount?
She brings home about $3200 a month.

We don't have children.
We got married in nov. 2008

single317dad

But currently we are not getting good value...so if we sell it now we will get way less than its worth but at the same time we want divorce as soon as possible ...so what should we do about this jointly owned house (we don't have any other joint property)?

Also,currently am not employed so, can I ask my spouse for spousal support and is that
spousal support is monthly amount or its lump sum one time amount? How much money I can get for spousal support per month as my spouse does not have savings to give me lump sum amount?

We don't have children.
If you don't want to sell the house, are there other assets that equal the value of the equity in the home? If you, for example, want to keep the house and sell it at a later time, you'll need to offer some other consideration that would balance the scales of marital property.

Are you unemployed voluntarily or involuntarily? Are you capable of earning your own living? Were you typically supported by your spouse during the course of the marriage? Your marriage was pretty short, and your spouse doesn't exactly rake in the money; I don't imagine you'll get a lot of support, if any.

vikasintl

We don't have other assets

We don't have any other assets that can match half of the equity of the house.

I am unemployed since may 2011 and I have tried but can't find a job.

I had a car accident in may 2010 and since than I have a hard time at work...
cognitive problems.

During our entire marriage I have made way less money than her.

So, she was always major income earner.

LdiJ

We don't have any other assets that can match half of the equity of the house.

I am unemployed since may 2011 and I have tried but can't find a job.

I had a car accident in may 2010 and since than I have a hard time at work...
cognitive problems.

During our entire marriage I have made way less money than her.

So, she was always major income earner.
You have a short term marriage. There is no guarantee that you are going to get any spousal support at all. If you do, its going to be short term...perhaps for a year or two at most, and that is iffy.

How is it that the two of you have been married for just over 5 years and have a house with 100k in equity?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
$3200 a month is NOT major money. Don't expect ANY spousal support because your wife barely earns enough to support one household let alone two. Go get a job working minimum wage.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You have a short term marriage. There is no guarantee that you are going to get any spousal support at all. If you do, its going to be short term...perhaps for a year or two at most, and that is iffy.

How is it that the two of you have been married for just over 5 years and have a house with 100k in equity?
It is probably how much the house is worth ($100k) but not the equity in it.

Bali Hai

The house is jointly owned, so does it matter? Maybe the wife worked two jobs and doubled up on the mortgage payments.

LdiJ

The house is jointly owned, so does it matter? Maybe the wife worked two jobs and doubled up on the mortgage payments.
We don't know that the house is jointly owned...and he already told us the wife's income and that isn't enough to build up that much equity in about 5 years.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
We don't know that the house is jointly owned...and he already told us the wife's income and that isn't enough to build up that much equity in about 5 years.
Op said it was jointly owned and in "joint name".

LdiJ

Op said it was jointly owned and in "joint name".
What he actually said was:

I agree that they probably own it jointly and that its value is probably 100k, but not necessarily its equity...but I would still prefer that the OP clarify.

Bali Hai

What he actually said was:

I agree that they probably own it jointly and that its value is probably 100k, but not necessarily its equity...but I would still prefer that the OP clarify.
so what should we do about this jointly owned house (we don't have any other joint property)?

This statement in OP's orginal post should clear things up.

Bali Hai

What do you (jointly) actually OWE on the house?
OP made no mention of a mortgage. Interpreting his post at face value, he expects to receive about $50k for his interest in the house and roughly $500 monthly in alimony for a few years.

latigo

We don't have children.
First, stop thinking in terms of how much alimony you can squeeze out of your wife rather than whether the court will grant you any. And the answer to that is zero!

Second, you home is worth no more or no less that what it will bring on the real estate market.

Third, to avoid post-divorce legal problems with ownership rights in the home, sell it pre-divorce.

Fourth, get your lazy face out of your PC monitor and find a job in the fast food industry. They say flipping cow meat is good for the soul.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">