• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wedding ring an asset?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrZebra

What is the name of your state? AZ

My soon to be ex-spouse is claiming that her wedding ring should not be counted as an asset because it was given to her as gift by me. The original engagement ring (given 7 years ago was only valued at $1500), but 5 years after marrying we upgraded the ring with a $7K diamond. Is that really not considered part of the combined marital assets?

LdiJ

MrZebra said:
What is the name of your state? AZ

My soon to be ex-spouse is claiming that her wedding ring should not be counted as an asset because it was given to her as gift by me. The original engagement ring (given 7 years ago was only valued at $1500), but 5 years after marrying we upgraded the ring with a $7K diamond. Is that really not considered part of the combined marital assets?
Nope...it was a gift. Its not a marital asset,

You should also be aware that there is no real resale market for jewerly, therefore any resale value of the ring would be no more than about 20% of what you paid.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
LdiJ said:
Nope...it was a gift. Its not a marital asset,

You should also be aware that there is no real resale market for jewerly, therefore any resale value of the ring would be no more than about 20% of what you paid.
The $7,000 diamond upgrade can be considered a marital assett.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">