• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What am I entitled to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confusedmom1122

I live in Colorado. My husband and I have been married for 3 years and are getting ready to go through a divorce. We have been living with each other for 5 years and have a 4 year old daughter. My name is on the deed to the house but not the mortgage. My name is not on any other assets that we have expect the checking account. He has always told me he would not put my name on anything so I wouldn't be entitled to anything if we ever were to get divorced. Is this true? Will I be able to get anything out of this failed marriage? I have worked the duration of the time we have been together. I recently left my job 6 months ago to stay at home with our daughter. What will this effect in the divorce?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in Colorado. My husband and I have been married for 3 years and are getting ready to go through a divorce. We have been living with each other for 5 years and have a 4 year old daughter. My name is on the deed to the house but not the mortgage. My name is not on any other assets that we have expect the checking account. He has always told me he would not put my name on anything so I wouldn't be entitled to anything if we ever were to get divorced. Is this true? Will I be able to get anything out of this failed marriage? I have worked the duration of the time we have been together. I recently left my job 6 months ago to stay at home with our daughter. What will this effect in the divorce?
YOu are entitled to half the marital equity that is in the home. You are entitled to custody/visitation and to either receive or pay child support. You are entitled to roughly half the marital debt and roughly half the marital assets. Roughly. If you keep the house, you will refinance it into your name alone. If you can't refinance it so that the mortgage is strictly in your name then you will not be able to keep the house. Whoever keeps the house gets the debt. Whoever keeps the car gets the debt. You need to get a job quite frankly. You need to be able to support yourself and your daughter. He needs to support himself and his daughter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">