• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What am I entitled to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DeLeon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
I am going through a divorce and we filed together and agreed not to seek any counsel. All I walked away with was a 2004 Sebring in which he paid off with the money ($7500) from the sale of our home. He walked away with a 2007 Jeep Commander and a 1998 Mercury Mystique, a 401k (at a minimum worth of $19,000.00) and some stocks (worth around $5,000.00). Well when I told him I wanted half of his 401K he went and sought counsel. I went into court and he and his counsel said that I was only entitled to $2280 out of a little over $9500 that I was expceting to get. I am now not able to afford counsel and am wondering what to do? They said he owes money on one of the cars that he kept and they are taking some of the money away from the money of the 401K. What do I do?

nextwife

What debts and assets accrued DURING the marriage? How long was the marriage? Generally, you are "entitled to half the MARITAL assets, and half the marital debt.

How much, for example of his, and your, 401ks were PREMARITAL? What was the EQUITY pulled out of the house? What was marital and what was premarital? What was acquired with marital assets and what with non-marital assets? In WI, this is important.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">