• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what can i do??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jetter

What is the name of your state? California
I have lived with my boyfriend (husband?) for almost 15 years. Recently I found out about several incidents of infidelity. He's also started going to strip clubs & spending $100.00 plus on lap dances (he says that's all he's paying for, anyway). He's also become verbally abusive lately. I can't live like this anymore!!! I have invested a lot of time, emotion & money in this relationship, am I entitled to anything if I leave? Most of our assets are in his name, as my credit isn't great, though I do pay most of the houeshold expenses (i.e. phone, utilities, food, etc...). We also own a house, a boat & several cars, all of which are solely in his name (except one of the cars, my name is also on that one). Am I totally screwed if I leave? is there anything I can do so I don't have to start over from scratch?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Jetter said:
What is the name of your state? California
I have lived with my boyfriend (husband?) for almost 15 years. Recently I found out about several incidents of infidelity. He's also started going to strip clubs & spending $100.00 plus on lap dances (he says that's all he's paying for, anyway). He's also become verbally abusive lately. I can't live like this anymore!!! I have invested a lot of time, emotion & money in this relationship, am I entitled to anything if I leave? Most of our assets are in his name, as my credit isn't great, though I do pay most of the houeshold expenses (i.e. phone, utilities, food, etc...). We also own a house, a boat & several cars, all of which are solely in his name (except one of the cars, my name is also on that one). Am I totally screwed if I leave? is there anything I can do so I don't have to start over from scratch?

My response:

First of all, he's not your husband. Common Law marriages in California were abolished about 125 years ago. So, that's out.

The most you can hope for is a contractual breach; i.e., Breach of Promise to care for you. Locate and read the California Supreme Court case of Marvin v. Marvin (1976) 18 Cal.3d 660. Then, when you don't understand it, go see a Contracts attorney for a consultation.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">