• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sherryd524

What is the name of your state? Georgia
Once divorce papers have been signed and filed, is it okay to move in with someone without being accused of adultery?

sherryd524

My husband has said that the day he files the papers he wants me to move out. He will be keeping the house until it sells.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Sherry what does that have to do with anything? He can say whatever he wants but it doesn't make it fact or the law. Without a court order he cannot force you from the marital home and it doesn't mean he can sell a house with a divorce pending nor does it mean that the home is his and his alone. It can be adultery if you move in with someone before the divorce is final.

sherryd524

I guess my main question is....if I did move out and in with someone if the papers are filed and the settlement agreed on....could my husband change it all if he were to get upset with me?

Bali Hai

I guess my main question is....if I did move out and in with someone if the papers are filed and the settlement agreed on....could my husband change it all if he were to get upset with me?
I don't think he'll be upset with you. Just don't tell him you are giving more frequent sex to the b/f than you did him.;)

LdiJ

He could absolutely make a mess of things if he got upset about that. The end result might not be any different, but you might end up spending way more money in legal fees than necessary in order to get things finalized.

sherryd524

Right now we're not paying legal fees at all. We have agreed on everything. So far things have been very "civilized", and I just hope it can stay that way.

I forgot to mention, the reason I would be moving out rather than him is that he's not in good health (he had a severe heart attack a few years ago and now has an internal defib). So when he mentioned one of us moving out, I told him I wouldn't ask him to until the house sells so that he won't have to move twice.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">