• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do after being divorced for 18 years?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sketta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? : Mississippi

My first husband and I have been divorced for 18 years now. I recently remarried in November 2007 and ever since have had to deal with the ignorance of my ex. I would have thought that after 18 years he would have gotten over the divorce, but apparently he hasn't.

A LITTLE BACKGROUND INFO
Before divorcing my ex, we purchased one (1) acre of land in March 1989. On the land deed, both of our names are present. We divorced in March 1991, and sometime thereafter I had a home built on the property in my name only. Since I've gotten remarried, my ex has been stating that half of the property is his and that we cannot use the other part for anything (e.g. a garden). In the divorce decree I was granted custody of my children but no where in the document does it state anything about the land. I recently found out that he went to the court house and had my land taxes changed over to his address. The land is tax-exempt due to my receiving of SSI.

HERE'S THE DILEMMA
Is there any way to have my ex's name removed from the deed? Do I rightfully own the land because I was granted custody of the children or because I had a home built on the property? What are some laws in the state of Mississippi concerning this matter? What can I do in this situation?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!:(:(

LdiJ

My first husband and I have been divorced for 18 years now. I recently remarried in November 2007 and ever since have had to deal with the ignorance of my ex. I would have thought that after 18 years he would have gotten over the divorce, but apparently he hasn't.

A LITTLE BACKGROUND INFO
Before divorcing my ex, we purchased one (1) acre of land in March 1989. On the land deed, both of our names are present. We divorced in March 1991, and sometime thereafter I had a home built on the property in my name only. Since I've gotten remarried, my ex has been stating that half of the property is his and that we cannot use the other part for anything (e.g. a garden). In the divorce decree I was granted custody of my children but no where in the document does it state anything about the land. I recently found out that he went to the court house and had my land taxes changed over to his address. The land is tax-exempt due to my receiving of SSI.

HERE'S THE DILEMMA
Is there any way to have my ex's name removed from the deed? Do I rightfully own the land because I was granted custody of the children or because I had a home built on the property? What are some laws in the state of Mississippi concerning this matter? What can I do in this situation?

You may have a serious problem. You own a home located on a piece of land that is not 100% your property. Why in the world you did something like that, without dealing with the ownership of the land is beyond me. Also, why would you think that custody of the children had anything to do with ownership of real estate?

You need a consult with a real estate attorney to help you figure out what you can do to resolve the issue. If nothing else, you are going to have to buy out your ex's share of the value of the land.

Isis1

A LITTLE BACKGROUND INFO

HERE'S THE DILEMMA

buy him out. this should have been settled at the time of the divorce. he owns half the land.

nextwife

Good grief Woman!

Custody of children has NO bearing on legal title to real estate. NO, having a uterus does NOT give you automatic ownership of his share of a property. If you were not awarded his half, he still owns half the land plus half of anything now "attached" to the land. Like a house or garage. Unless the house has wheels or used to have wheels.

Rather presumtuous of you to go build on land you do not wholly own. Even more presumtuous would be to expect him to pay you for any portion of what you did to land he woned without first getting his permission.

Last edited:

sketta

My reasons why

At the time we were going through the divorce, I had suffered a nervous breakdown because of something he'd done. He had sex with my 14-year old sister, which mind you, resulted in the birth of a child who is now 24 years old - only a year younger than our last child. I didn't fault my sister because she was a child in the matter and my ex was a 36-year old man (or pervert, as I prefer). My sister was staying with us to go to school and while I was at work (I presume) he took advantage of her.

He was also court ordered to pay child support in the amount of $150 beginning in February 1991. I have never received a payment as of yet. I just figured since he'd never made the effort to pay child support for three children in that time that I should be entitled to the property. Maybe I'm wrong. What do you think?

LdiJ

At the time we were going through the divorce, I had suffered a nervous breakdown because of something he'd done. He had sex with my 14-year old sister, which mind you, resulted in the birth of a child who is now 24 years old - only a year younger than our last child. I didn't fault my sister because she was a child in the matter and my ex was a 36-year old man (or pervert, as I prefer). My sister was staying with us to go to school and while I was at work (I presume) he took advantage of her.

He was also court ordered to pay child support in the amount of $150 beginning in February 1991. I have never received a payment as of yet. I just figured since he'd never made the effort to pay child support for three children in that time that I should be entitled to the property. Maybe I'm wrong. What do you think?
You need to consult a local attorney NOW. You might be able to sue him for the child support and settle on him signing off on the land.

Some Random Guy

I just figured since he'd never made the effort to pay child support for three children in that time that I should be entitled to the property.
You have not received any CS payments in the last 18 years. How many times have you gotten the court involved to address this? If the courts don't know about the non-payment then they will assume you are getting paid. His CS debt will not magically alter unrelated real estate problems.

Ignoring problems won't make them go away.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You have not received any CS payments in the last 18 years. How many times have you gotten the court involved to address this? If the courts don't know about the non-payment then they will assume you are getting paid. His CS debt will not magically alter unrelated real estate problems.

Ignoring problems won't make them go away.
The youngest child is 25. So she would have stopped receiving support most likely 7 years ago. He owes for 11 years. OP, was he ordered to pay you directly?

The property is a separate issue. But you might be able to "buy" it from him for the amount of support he owes you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP - why did you stay married to a child rapist for 6 years after the rape occurred?

(Child of the rape is 24 but divorce only happened 18 years ago)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OP - why did you stay married to a child rapist for 6 years after the rape occurred?

(Child of the rape is 24 but divorce only happened 18 years ago)
Because it didn't matter until she got mad at him about other things?

sketta

Thanks LdiJ. I did not know about it until after the fact. My sister was young and afraid. She hid the truth from us all until the child was around 5-years old. This is when I separated from my ex - when my sister came out about it all. She said she was afraid because he threatened her if she told anyone and she thought I would be mad at her. She was just a child! If I'd known about it before then, I would have left him sooner.

Then when I separated from him and filed for divorce, he began heavily drinking. During those times he would come to my parents' house, where I'd moved to with the children, and try to fight me. He even went as far as saying I was the reason he'd messed with my sister because I was always working. Well, the bills didn't pay themselves and as an LPN at a local clinic, I didn't feel I was doing anything wrong - especially since he wasn't working.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">