• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what can I do now..since sep agreement is signed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Johndeere720

What is the name of your state? ohio
Hello, my wife and I have a signed separation agreement, created by her attorney, reviewed by my attorney and all is well. We have determined "who gets what" and both are happy with the settlement.
Now that this has been finalized, am I free to sell some of my premarital stock and property without her being able to do something about it? I want to pay off some debt of her's that I assumed in the agreement. I dont want her to have any recourse when I create thsi cash from the sale.
Can I also sell a newer car and purchase an older one without her having any recourse?
Of course the items above are all mine per the separation agreement which was signed and notarized last week.
We will meet with a private judge in 30 days to make complete the dissolution.

Thanks in advance!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? ohio
Hello, my wife and I have a signed separation agreement, created by her attorney, reviewed by my attorney and all is well. We have determined "who gets what" and both are happy with the settlement.
Now that this has been finalized, am I free to sell some of my premarital stock and property without her being able to do something about it? I want to pay off some debt of her's that I assumed in the agreement. I dont want her to have any recourse when I create thsi cash from the sale.
Can I also sell a newer car and purchase an older one without her having any recourse?
Of course the items above are all mine per the separation agreement which was signed and notarized last week.
We will meet with a private judge in 30 days to make complete the dissolution.

Thanks in advance!
You probably can, but honestly, I would wait until the judge signs off on everything. Its cleaner.

Johndeere720

Question for LDIJ...

Hi,
Thanks for your reply...I agree probably best to wait until the judge signs off....what is the waiting period after we have it notarized....30 days? We are going to use a private judge in her lawyers office.
Also, there will be a QDRO for me to xfer part of my 401k to her account...I will have my atty review it to make sure it is OK, but when will her atty give that document to me to give to Fidelity? Will it be BEFORE or After the judge signs off?

Thanks!

LdiJ

Hi,
Thanks for your reply...I agree probably best to wait until the judge signs off....what is the waiting period after we have it notarized....30 days? We are going to use a private judge in her lawyers office.
Also, there will be a QDRO for me to xfer part of my 401k to her account...I will have my atty review it to make sure it is OK, but when will her atty give that document to me to give to Fidelity? Will it be BEFORE or After the judge signs off?

Thanks!
After....because its not offical until the judge signs off on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">