• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I expect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmw39

What is the name of your state? FL

I am resident alien from UK. I've been married 24 years, have one child of legal age, own a home and my wife makes about 10k less than I do per year. What can I expect for alimony, child support? What should I do as far as leaving?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? FL

I am resident alien from UK. I've been married 24 years, have one child of legal age, own a home and my wife makes about 10k less than I do per year. What can I expect for alimony, child support? What should I do as far as leaving?
You should expect to pay NO child support if the child is over the age of 18 unless said child is permanently disabled or something of that nature and even then not necessarily nor should you consider paying alimony due to the fact that your wife makes a good living and there is NOT a substantial difference in income. Expect to split all assets and debts 50/50.

nextwife

You should expect to pay NO child support if the child is over the age of 18 unless said child is permanently disabled or something of that nature and even then not necessarily nor should you consider paying alimony due to the fact that your wife makes a good living and there is NOT a substantial difference in income. Expect to split all assets and debts 50/50.

Minor correction:

Expect to split all MARITAL assets and debts 50/50.

nextwife

Correct. And most likely after 24 years of marriage MOST if not all of the assets are marital. Except inheritances and gifts.
I only have 11 years left to have 24 years of marriage. Theoretically, if I divorced then, my kiddo would be 21.

And I would have had two decades of premarital, non-comingled assets.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

You should expect to pay NO child support if the child is over the age of 18 unless said child is permanently disabled or something of that nature
Legally, that is correct and the judge would not likely ORDER support past the age of 18. However, if you negotiate a settlement, your ex may wish to include support if the kid stays in college. You can't be required to accept that, but it's something that's often done - in the context of the whole agreement it may make sense.

Bali Hai

Legally, that is correct and the judge would not likely ORDER support past the age of 18. However, if you negotiate a settlement, your ex may wish to include support if the kid stays in college. You can't be required to accept that, but it's something that's often done - in the context of the whole agreement it may make sense.
Let's let the judge ORDER the whole settlement and we will see if that ORDER includes support past the age of 18!!

You jerks think that everybody can be held hostage (by the court) and coerced into doing something against their will no matter what the circumstances???

This is EXACTLY WHY Jury's need to decide these things when there is a stalemate and not a jackass judge!!!

mistoffolees

Let's let the judge ORDER the whole settlement and we will see if that ORDER includes support past the age of 18!!

You jerks think that everybody can be held hostage (by the court) and coerced into doing something against their will no matter what the circumstances???

This is EXACTLY WHY Jury's need to decide these things when there is a stalemate and not a jackass judge!!!
Care to explain what you're babbling about? I already said that the judge can't order support past 18 in Florida. In light of that, just what are you trying to say?

Bali Hai

Care to explain what you're babbling about? I already said that the judge can't order support past 18 in Florida. In light of that, just what are you trying to say?
Marital property and debt split 50/50.
NO child support.
NO money for college. The kid will be better off later in life if they start paying for what they want NOW!!
NO alimony.

That's the deal, take it or leave it!! To discuss it further would only amount to "babbling"!!

mistoffolees

Marital property and debt split 50/50.
NO child support.
NO money for college. The kid will be better off later in life if they start paying for what they want NOW!!
NO alimony.

That's the deal, take it or leave it!! To discuss it further would only amount to "babbling"!!
I'm not surprised that you're too cheap to even help your kids with college.

But in any event, that's what I already said. The judge would not order child support past 18 in Florida and someone else has already pointed out that their incomes are close enough that alimony is unlikely.

Bali Hai

If I want to help my kids with college, it will be MY option to do that and NOT in the form of a COURT ORDER!!!

But in any event, that's what I already said. The judge would not order child support past 18 in Florida and someone else has already pointed out that their incomes are close enough that alimony is unlikely.
Stop your double talk and see below.

mistoffolees
Member Join Date: Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogal
You should expect to pay NO child support if the child is over the age of 18 unless said child is permanently disabled or something of that nature

Tell me just HOW it may make sense???

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Legally, that is correct and the judge would not likely ORDER support past the age of 18. However, if you negotiate a settlement, your ex may wish to include support if the kid stays in college. You can't be required to accept that, but it's something that's often done - in the context of the whole agreement it may make sense. [/I]

Tell me just HOW it may make sense???
Maybe because some people care enough about their children to help with their college?

Bali Hai

Maybe because some people care enough about their children to help with their college?
Well those people can help with their children college if they WISH to.

Why do you suggest that be formalized in writing with a court order that is BINDING???

Sounds to me that you prefer legislating morality from the bench!!!

VeronicaLodge

married parents arent ordered or obligated to pay for their childrens college, they can do so if they want, but arent ordered to, so why should divorced parents have more of a legal obligation than married parents do?

married parents arent ordered or obligated to pay for their childrens college, they can do so if they want, but arent ordered to, so why should divorced parents have more of a legal obligation than married parents do?
I don't want to throw any more gas on this fire...BUT....I just heard about a civil case in IL where the 19 year old son sued his father (I believe...UNdivorced) for the difference between local in state and out of state private college tuition and expenses of a school he was accepted to, but father refused to pay for...AND WON!!! I'm trying to get a brief...if I do...I'll post it ....but only if Bali promises not to do any harm to himself or anyone else!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">