• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what can i leave w/?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

positivily4thst

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

my wife wants a divorce. we have no assests like a house or anything. during the marriage, i bought books to study and read. some where gifts and many i got at used bookstore of for free. i understand the courts will most likely give her half of the books.

assuming this..., she has asked me to get my "stuff" out of the apartment when i move.

now her father is involved. he is coming up tomorrow. can they prevent me from moving my books and personal items i own from the apartment? i have a feeling her dad is going to want me to leave w/ just my closes or something.

LdiJ

positivily4thst said:

my wife wants a divorce. we have no assests like a house or anything. during the marriage, i bought books to study and read. some where gifts and many i got at used bookstore of for free. i understand the courts will most likely give her half of the books.

assuming this..., she has asked me to get my "stuff" out of the apartment when i move.

now her father is involved. he is coming up tomorrow. can they prevent me from moving my books and personal items i own from the apartment? i have a feeling her dad is going to want me to leave w/ just my closes or something.
Wait and see what happens. Don't automatically assume the worst. If you aren't allowed to take some of your personal possessions then you will have to fight it out in court.

LdiJ

positivily4thst said:
but worse case scenerio. can i at least still pack my possessions? what are my rights?
Sure you can pack your stuff. Its even possible that she will agree with you regarding what is "your stuff".

VeronicaGia

positivily4thst said:

Until a judge orders either of you to leave, neither of you have to.

If her dad gets involved, call the police immediately. It is your legal residence and he has no business sticking his nose into it.

positivily4thst

leaving

but she and i came to a mutual agreement. we live in a okay save neighborhood and though she was obligated to leave, i gave her the apartment. (we where robbed 4 times last year, and i made the newer, smaller apartment VERY secure w/ landlord's consent.) so no lawyer as ordered anything.

i am leaving as per mutual agreement. so i am packing my things in this last month to move as requested by wife.

can she prohibit me from doing that? i don't want to be a bag man w/ nothing.

it is just getting a bit nasty at times and i don't understand. mixed messages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">