• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What constitutes a "legal separation" in VA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firsttime

What is the name of your state? Virginia

How do I become "legally separated" in Virginia? I need to fill out paperwork for a new job and would prefer to select the single box (as it says I can do if I'm "legally separated") but don't know if I qualify for that. My husband has moved out but we haven't been able to meet with the Legal Assistance office offered through the military yet to process any paperwork for the divorce.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Virginia

How do I become "legally separated" in Virginia? I need to fill out paperwork for a new job and would prefer to select the single box (as it says I can do if I'm "legally separated") but don't know if I qualify for that. My husband has moved out but we haven't been able to meet with the Legal Assistance office offered through the military yet to process any paperwork for the divorce.

"check the single box" on what?

Golfball

The single vs. married box on the W-4 form simply directs how much tax withholding your employer should/will do.

You can check single on the W-4 w/o ill consequence, even if you are married, it just means your employer will withhold more in federal taxes.

If you're anticipating a divorce this year, it might not be a bad idea to check the 'single' box anyway, that means you wouldn't have to revise it later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">