• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freelady1

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
My husband and I have been married 19 years and I want a divorce. We owe a home which we bought together 17 years ago. We recenly got it appraised because we agreed that we would sell the house and pay off the mortgage etc and split what was left. (my husband earns 3 times as much wages as I do). He now wants to buy me out and keep the house and I will purchase a condo. I don't see how this is a good idea for me. I also have 2 kids ages 18 & 13. the oldest is leaving for college in the Fall, and the younger we have agreed to share custody. I still think the best thing is to sell and split the money. suggestions? should I file for separation first? We haven't done anything in the courts yet but I do want to get this moving forward. thanks

LdiJ

nancyak said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
My husband and I have been married 19 years and I want a divorce. We owe a home which we bought together 17 years ago. We recenly got it appraised because we agreed that we would sell the house and pay off the mortgage etc and split what was left. (my husband earns 3 times as much wages as I do). He now wants to buy me out and keep the house and I will purchase a condo. I don't see how this is a good idea for me. I also have 2 kids ages 18 & 13. the oldest is leaving for college in the Fall, and the younger we have agreed to share custody. I still think the best thing is to sell and split the money. suggestions? should I file for separation first? We haven't done anything in the courts yet but I do want to get this moving forward. thanks
Why is it better for you if the house is sold vs buying you out? The financial results will be the same for you either way unless he is talking about a installment buyout. He will have to refinance the home in his own name if he wants to buy you out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">