• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What To Do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RTWINMOMMIE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OREGON
My husband just moved out because we are starting the seperation/divorce process. My concern is our 4 children and our home that we own together. What do I need to do to insure that myself and our children don't have to uproot and move. He keeps holding that over my head, saying that I'd better sell the house and move, or buy him out? Please help!

nextwife

WE have no idea what your respective financial capabilities may be. You can file for CS as the children are living with you, but the big question is if your salary plus the CS will be enough to refinance him off the mortgage, pay off his share of the home and pay the mortgage, taxes and insurance.

Many TWO income households are having trouble keeping up with their housing costs these days. Whether it can be done now that there is a need for two households is hard for us to know. But certainly if you earn enough to cover the full housing costs after the refinance, and then you also get CS, you should be ok.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OREGON
My husband just moved out because we are starting the seperation/divorce process. My concern is our 4 children and our home that we own together. What do I need to do to insure that myself and our children don't have to uproot and move. He keeps holding that over my head, saying that I'd better sell the house and move, or buy him out? Please help!
His position is not unreasonable. Whoever gets the house needs to be able to take over the payments at the very least. Most smart attorneys would require that you refinance it in your name so it doesn't tie up his credit.

If you can't afford to take over the expenses and refinance it in your name, then you're better off selling the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">