• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do if Spouse leaves without a trace before Divorce is final?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bridgetjones

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Things are not going well in my marriage and my husband is threatening to leave me. He has indicated that if he does leave he will go "underground" and will not be found so I can not get a divorce or seek child support from him. I am limited on money and have no family except his who are not supportive of me or our child together. I do not know what to do. Can someone help me and tell me what can be done if he leaves me before I can do anything legally?

Thank you,

[email protected]

LdiJ

bridgetjones said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

Things are not going well in my marriage and my husband is threatening to leave me. He has indicated that if he does leave he will go "underground" and will not be found so I can not get a divorce or seek child support from him. I am limited on money and have no family except his who are not supportive of me or our child together. I do not know what to do. Can someone help me and tell me what can be done if he leaves me before I can do anything legally?

Thank you,

[email protected]
If he disappears you can still get divorced. You would end up serving him via publication. However there is no way to collect child support (even if you get an order) unless he can actually be found. In the long run it would eventually catch up with him...but you probably should plan your budget without relying on child support. You may however be eligible for state assistance...and you SHOULD take advantage of that because that will make the state try harder to find him and make him pay support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">