• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do when a lawyer gets caught lying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tuffbrk

I know family court isn't perfect, but I'm having a hard time believing that a judge would ignore hard written evidence in favor of a verbal statement from the other side - no matter how many times it is repeated.

Are you sure that you have real evidence or is it something that only becomes evidence via wishful thinking?
I had pages and pages of "real" evidence - I'm not certain what "fake" evidence is. As an example, my salary - clearly documented - was claimed to be a different number by the defendant's attorney. Repeatedly. In every piece of correspondence, in every meeting with mediators, arbitrators, settlement panel materials, motions, etc. He continues to do so even in simple correspondence with my attorney! Despite having validated proof of my salary.

Just like in corporate America - reality is meaningless. Perception rules.

When a judge sees and hears something again and again, eventually it is presumed to be true.

tuffbrk

And just as a by the way - you may want to consider getting to know OP's better before asking them if they are indulging in wishful thinking.

Comments like that might lead readers into thinking that you're an arrogant, overbearing idiot who is speaking out of turn...

Enjoy your weekend...

mistoffolees

I had pages and pages of "real" evidence - I'm not certain what "fake" evidence is. As an example, my salary - clearly documented - was claimed to be a different number by the defendant's attorney. Repeatedly. In every piece of correspondence, in every meeting with mediators, arbitrators, settlement panel materials, motions, etc. He continues to do so even in simple correspondence with my attorney! Despite having validated proof of my salary.

Just like in corporate America - reality is meaningless. Perception rules.

When a judge sees and hears something again and again, eventually it is presumed to be true.
If the judge used the wrong salary in the calculations in spite of hard evidence in front of him, you can appeal it.

mommyof4

I know family court isn't perfect, but I'm having a hard time believing that a judge would ignore hard written evidence in favor of a verbal statement from the other side - no matter how many times it is repeated.
Believe it. My hell wouldn't have lasted HALF as long if the judge had just bothered to pay attention to the documentation that CPS, the counselor, the forensic psychologist ordered BY THE COURT, and I provided that plainly and clearly proved that the ex and his atty were BOTH lying in court.

The judge didn't pay attention until the moron (his atty) lied IN COURT that I was not providing his client with information from my daughter's school and handed over the school calendar he 'printed off the internet' to show that he was having to get the information on his own (the poor baby). The hilarious part (at least for me)? The calendar he handed to the judge was the copy of the calendar I had sent him with MY HANDWRITTEN NOTES all over the dang thing where I had gone over her breaks and noted the weekends she would be spending with the arse. I have to say that I didn't have the grace or tact to refrain from laughing out loud in court. That's okay, though...my atty was laughing with me.

After that...he was screwed.

seniorjudge

“Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive”

(The correct quote.)

I was kinda wondering what would happen when a lawyer get caught telling the truth?:D

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
“Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive”

(The correct quote.)

I was kinda wondering what would happen when a lawyer get caught telling the truth?:D
If it weren't you asking, I would be quite offended. Because it is you, I am only a little offended. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">