• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do when a lawyer gets caught lying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yerbudi

What is the name of your state? MA

I have noticed that when my STBX and I go to court, we are sworn in to tell the truth, yada, yada, yada. But the lawyers are not. Is there a reason for this?

The reason I ask, I have undisputable proof that my STBX's attorney has lied while pleading my STBX's case to the Judge. Not just once, but several times. I have the court transcripts from the three previous RO hearings. I mean I expected my STBX to lie, and she has, and she was actually caught in a lie on one occassion. With the transcripts, I now have documented proof of her fabrications. But I never expected a lawyer to lie. I must be extremely naive.

I know what will eventually happen to my STBX, but what can be done to a lawyer when this happens?

On a side note, if your courthouse has a lawyer of the day like mine did, take advantage of it. He helped me with filling out subpoenas for bank records, subpoenas for relatives, teachers, Doctors and Real Estate agents. All free of charge with the exception of the Sheriffs fees.

yerbudi

Hey there. Going pretty good. Trying to get this thing done...you know how it is. But I am learning a lot also. Hopefully I won't have to go through this again! Just wish I could get on with my life and the devious, deceitful, jealous STBX would "get-a-life" and stop making crap up! OH WHAT A TANGLED WEB WE WEAVE, WHEN AT FIRST WE PRACTICE TO DECEIVE! - Sir Walter Scott.

Getting the court transcripts was the best move I ever made. You can't argue with a transcript and you can see exactly where they lied and attack at that point!

How are things with you? If you are around this weekend, BSG, I'll give you a call and fill you in.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Hey there. Going pretty good. Trying to get this thing done...you know how it is. But I am learning a lot also. Hopefully I won't have to go through this again! Just wish I could get on with my life and the devious, deceitful, jealous STBX would "get-a-life" and stop making crap up! OH WHAT A TANGLED WEB WE WEAVE, WHEN AT FIRST WE PRACTICE TO DECEIVE! - Sir Walter Scott.

Getting the court transcripts was the best move I ever made. You can't argue with a transcript and you can see exactly where they lied and attack at that point!

How are things with you? If you are around this weekend, BSG, I'll give you a call and fill you in.
Things are good...My eldest is planning a trip to Israel this summer...I shall be on Valium the entire time she is gone...(yup! I know it will be an awesome trip...:eek:)

I will be here!! Call anytime...:)

Hey...do you remember that guy I was telling you about? With the ex like yours? He won custody...:)))

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? MA

I have noticed that when my STBX and I go to court, we are sworn in to tell the truth, yada, yada, yada. But the lawyers are not. Is there a reason for this?

The reason I ask, I have undisputable proof that my STBX's attorney has lied while pleading my STBX's case to the Judge. Not just once, but several times. I have the court transcripts from the three previous RO hearings. I mean I expected my STBX to lie, and she has, and she was actually caught in a lie on one occassion. With the transcripts, I now have documented proof of her fabrications. But I never expected a lawyer to lie. I must be extremely naive.

I know what will eventually happen to my STBX, but what can be done to a lawyer when this happens?

On a side note, if your courthouse has a lawyer of the day like mine did, take advantage of it. He helped me with filling out subpoenas for bank records, subpoenas for relatives, teachers, Doctors and Real Estate agents. All free of charge with the exception of the Sheriffs fees.
Did the attorney really lie? Or did the attorney base his/her statements based on what he/she was told by your stbx? If the attorney believed your ex, and based his/her statements on that, the attorney didn't lie....the attorney was lied to.

Also, putting a "spin" or different interpretation on something is not the same as lying...so that can factor in as well.

mistoffolees

Did the attorney really lie? Or did the attorney base his/her statements based on what he/she was told by your stbx? If the attorney believed your ex, and based his/her statements on that, the attorney didn't lie....the attorney was lied to.
That was my thought. 99% of what the attorney says will be what they were told. I would think that the judge automatically considers it to be the client's case rather than the attorney's.

yerbudi

Also, putting a "spin" or different interpretation on something is not the same as lying...so that can factor in as well.
I can see your point. For the most part, that might be the case. There is one specific incident where she quoted our former marriage therapist, and when I showed the transcript to the therapist she adamantly denied everything that the lawyer had said. And then proceeded to tell me exactly what the attorney was told.

Like I said from day one on here...if the truth be always told from day one, then I win everything. Only through fabrication, devious deceitfulness, and blatant lies is the STBX able to attain any advantage at all.

I know I am the better person for not stooping to that level.

mistoffolees

I can see your point. For the most part, that might be the case. There is one specific incident where she quoted our former marriage therapist, and when I showed the transcript to the therapist she adamantly denied everything that the lawyer had said. And then proceeded to tell me exactly what the attorney was told.

Like I said from day one on here...if the truth be always told from day one, then I win everything. Only through fabrication, devious deceitfulness, and blatant lies is the STBX able to attain any advantage at all.

If you can prove that the lawyer is presenting inaccurate information, then you can do so in court. There's nothing to be gained by calling the attorney a liar - especially since you can't prove it (the above doesn't prove anything. Perhaps it's the therapist who is lying. Or perhaps the attorney misunderstood. Or perhaps your ex fabricated something.) You just can't prove he's lying, so don't bother. Focus on the facts and making sure the judge gets the correct information.

Bali Hai

That's all well and good, but in the meantime, your ex and her attorney repeating to the court what they know damn well is a lie, AND, the judge accepting their lies is not helping your case. You are not done with your case yet and I suspect you are about to become more pissed off than you are now.

YOU try lying to the court and just see what happens to you!!!

VeronicaLodge

what an attorney says in court is not testimony or evidence, that is why they do not swear in. when you take the stand and swear in, what you say is testimony and considered evidence. attorneys argue and present evidence but what they say is not evidence in itself.

mistoffolees

That's all well and good, but in the meantime, your ex and her attorney repeating to the court what they know damn well is a lie, AND, the judge accepting their lies is not helping your case. You are not done with your case yet and I suspect you are about to become more pissed off than you are now.

YOU try lying to the court and just see what happens to you!!!
The attorney is not sworn in - specifically because it's understood that their statements are information presented to them by their side.

If the court is accepting things that you can prove are lies, then the fault lies with you. Present your evidence to the court rather than complaining here about the attorney.

tuffbrk

Wow! Talk about judgemental. Reality is - if you say it enough times, it becomes true because the judge will remember it based upon how many times it is stated. You can have written documented proof otherwise, you can refer to it repeatedly but if every time the attorney opens their mouth they say XX - eventually XX becomes the truth.

An attorney should not be allowed to state XX unless they know it to be true based on documentation. If documentation proves otherwise, they should be reprimanded if they continue in their insistence.

Family court is knagaroo court - you are oversimplifying to put it mildly.

Bali Hai

Wow! Talk about judgemental. Reality is - if you say it enough times, it becomes true because the judge will remember it based upon how many times it is stated. You can have written documented proof otherwise, you can refer to it repeatedly but if every time the attorney opens their mouth they say XX - eventually XX becomes the truth.

An attorney should not be allowed to state XX unless they know it to be true based on documentation. If documentation proves otherwise, they should be reprimanded if they continue in their insistence.

Family court is knagaroo court - you are oversimplifying to put it mildly.
You have a free foot massage coming tuffbrk!!:)

mistoffolees

I know family court isn't perfect, but I'm having a hard time believing that a judge would ignore hard written evidence in favor of a verbal statement from the other side - no matter how many times it is repeated.

Are you sure that you have real evidence or is it something that only becomes evidence via wishful thinking?

Bali Hai

I know family court isn't perfect, but I'm having a hard time believing that a judge would ignore hard written evidence in favor of a verbal statement from the other side - no matter how many times it is repeated.

Are you sure that you have real evidence or is it something that only becomes evidence via wishful thinking?
I can understand your thinking because, regrettably, I used to think the same way.

Are you aware that the judge has the discretion whether or not to accept evidence into a proceeding?? Are you aware that most judges don't even want to deal with divorce cases and have their law clerk decide important issues??

I want you to do some research into how many crooked judges and lawyers in this country have been caught "fixing" divorce cases in the last ten years. These are just the people who were caught!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">