• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do when your ex is in contempt of court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reallypissedoff

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I was divorced in April 5, 2001. I was a stay at home mom, with our two children, when he terminated our marriage after twelve years, for another woman -- to whom he has now married. The closing date of our marital house was December 2003. After the closing date, my ex was suppost to give me my portion of the equity and my estate that was tied up in the sale of the house. He has neglected to follow the court order to pay the full twenty thousand dollars! I have not received ANY of this money! What can I do to regain my money that he owes? Since he is in contempt of court, will the judge make him pay all of my attorney fees? I am a full time nursing student, and a single parent. My finances are extremely budgeted! I am currently unemployed, therefore, I meet the qualifications for community support from my local government agency's.

He is also in contempt of court for not paying what he was ordered to pay -- up to $479.00 a month in child care expenses. He fails to do so! He is also in contempt of court to re-computate child support annually every April 5. He has been to Iraq (increase of war time pay), and received a promotion in the Narional Guard since our court order was written. Our children are not benefitting in any of his rewards of being a West Point graduate and a major in the National Guard.

I am completely pissed off, considering he continues to mock our court system. He obviously thinks that he is above the law! I want what me and my children have deserved and have done without for the past five years...our money!!!

brisgirl825

You need to file contempt of court. Look into local legal aid programs. If you do not qualify, ask to borrow the money from family/friends.

GL

LdiJ

reallypissedoff said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I was divorced in April 5, 2001. I was a stay at home mom, with our two children, when he terminated our marriage after twelve years, for another woman -- to whom he has now married. The closing date of our marital house was December 2003. After the closing date, my ex was suppost to give me my portion of the equity and my estate that was tied up in the sale of the house. He has neglected to follow the court order to pay the full twenty thousand dollars! I have not received ANY of this money! What can I do to regain my money that he owes? Since he is in contempt of court, will the judge make him pay all of my attorney fees? I am a full time nursing student, and a single parent. My finances are extremely budgeted! I am currently unemployed, therefore, I meet the qualifications for community support from my local government agency's.

He is also in contempt of court for not paying what he was ordered to pay -- up to $479.00 a month in child care expenses. He fails to do so! He is also in contempt of court to re-computate child support annually every April 5. He has been to Iraq (increase of war time pay), and received a promotion in the Narional Guard since our court order was written. Our children are not benefitting in any of his rewards of being a West Point graduate and a major in the National Guard.

I am completely pissed off, considering he continues to mock our court system. He obviously thinks that he is above the law! I want what me and my children have deserved and have done without for the past five years...our money!!!
How the heck did he manage to selll the house without you being present at closing and collecting your share of the sale?

In any case...you really need an attorney. NOW

reallypissedoff

The reason why I wasn't there during the close of the sale, was due to the advise of my attorney. He advised me to sign my portion over to my ex, with the understanding that he was to make "balloon payments -- until the sale of the house -- and when that took place, he was to pay the remaining blalnce in full. Obviously, he failed to do so. Looking back, I should have never agreed to such a stupid deal. However, my attorney was in it for his wallet, not mine.

reallypissedoff

I appreciate your response. I'll look into talking to another attorney. I'm more frustrated and dissappointed than anything else. Again, thanks for your input. Not trying to step on any toes...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">