• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does a seperation order protect you from?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

One of my employees just asked me to have the payroll company start depositing her pay into a new account. The short story is she threw her husband out because of alcoholism and she is trying to protect her future assets. She is going to file for separation and her thinking is once that is done she will be protected from her husband emptying their accounts or running up dept. She also believes that once the separation order is legal if her husband causes an auto accident while drunk financially she will be safe. She said she wants to protect herself and the kids but also wants to give her husband a chance to sober up before filing for divorce.

As an employer I have no concern about having payroll move her deposits to a new account, I put the money where the employee tells me. But as a "kind of" friend to a 12 year employee I hate to see her get in a bind. I advised her to speak with an attorney and confirm her thinking about what the separation order does but thought for the quick info I would check on this site. I did also give her this site address so she can register and ask questions as she needs.

Thanks

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

One of my employees just asked me to have the payroll company start depositing her pay into a new account. The short story is she threw her husband out because of alcoholism and she is trying to protect her future assets. She is going to file for separation and her thinking is once that is done she will be protected from her husband emptying their accounts or running up dept. She also believes that once the separation order is legal if her husband causes an auto accident while drunk financially she will be safe. She said she wants to protect herself and the kids but also wants to give her husband a chance to sober up before filing for divorce.

As an employer I have no concern about having payroll move her deposits to a new account, I put the money where the employee tells me. But as a "kind of" friend to a 12 year employee I hate to see her get in a bind. I advised her to speak with an attorney and confirm her thinking about what the separation order does but thought for the quick info I would check on this site. I did also give her this site address so she can register and ask questions as she needs.

Thanks
That would be best. It's her business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">