• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what does signing acknowledgment mean??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reallyhurt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Last night, I received Summons for divorce. With it came the acknowledgment form FL-117.
I am still shocked so I would like to think about all of this but I have to go on a previously planned trip for 2 weeks, which puts me behind the date required to respond (20 days from filing which was apparently on Dec, 9th. Upon reading the papers I have found that the information is imprecise and incorrect.
I would like to know if I sign this form does that mean that I am agreeing to the terms of divorce set out by my husband?
What does my signing the acknowledgment, the form FL-117 mean?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Last night, I received Summons for divorce. With it came the acknowledgment form FL-117.
I am still shocked so I would like to think about all of this but I have to go on a previously planned trip for 2 weeks, which puts me behind the date required to respond (20 days from filing which was apparently on Dec, 9th. Upon reading the papers I have found that the information is imprecise and incorrect.
I would like to know if I sign this form does that mean that I am agreeing to the terms of divorce set out by my husband?
What does my signing the acknowledgment, the form FL-117 mean?
What does it SAY it means? According to a quick Google search, the form is an acknowledgement of receipt. All you're acknowledging is that you received the forms - not that you agree with anything in them.

The enclosed forms will give you instructions on responding. If you fail to respond, he can win a default judgment. If you disagree with anything, then respond within 20 days.

Since you are having trouble understanding 'acknowledgement of receipt', you really need an attorney.

I am still shocked so I would like to think about all of this but I have to go on a previously planned trip for 2 weeks, which puts me behind the date required to respond (20 days from filing which was apparently on Dec, 9th.
Before your trip, you need to retain a divorce attorney to draft and file an Answer on your behalf. If you retain an attorney before you go, they might be able to handle any details that arise with you over the phone, but this is something you will need to clear up with the attorney before you leave town.

If you can't find an attorney before your trip, then you need to delay or cancel your trip. The court will not accept "I was out of town on vacation" as an excuse for not filing an Answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">