• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What good are papers??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NC

I posted on here before about my bf's stbx wanting to void the sep papers or get the date changed. Well she agreed to just sign the papers if she gave her money and everything else that she didn't take in the house when she moved out. She wanted alimony and other stuff but he said no.

We found it odd that all of a sudden she was willing to sign the papers. So my bf and his lawyer added a few things just to be safe. One thing they added was that she would not be able to come after my bf or me for alienation of affections or cohabitating or any other legal issue. She didn't like that part but she still said she would sign.

Yesterday they got into a little arguement. During that she told him that she had been planning on coming after me with all sorts of lawsuits after the divorce was final. Said her lawyer was going to do it for free because she wanted to try a case like this. He laughed and said it must have thrown a monkey wrench in those plans since he added that to the papers.

So now I'm wondering if even with that added to the papers can she still come after me for anything? We didn't meet till a few months after they split. Even though they disagree about the separation date, I didn't start dating him till way after she said they sep.

Any thoughts on this? Am I safe?

On a side note..my divorce papers are waiting at the p.o for me to pick up. So I'm not divorced yet either. But will be when I pick them up...

So even though in the divorce settlement it says she agrees not to come after me for any lawsuites...and she signed the papers.. you are telling me she can still sue me for all the things listed like alienation of affection, criminal conversation and whatever else an ex spouse can think up??? :confused:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
she can sue and then you can defend based on her promise not to sue in court documents and get the case dismissed. So yes she can sue regardless of anything. The better question is will she win or will the case go anywhere?

Just Blue

So even though in the divorce settlement it says she agrees not to come after me for any lawsuites...and she signed the papers.. you are telling me she can still sue me for all the things listed like alienation of affection, criminal conversation and whatever else an ex spouse can think up??? :confused:
Were you involved in the break up of their marriage? When did you two get togeather in relation to there seperation?

Were you involved in the break up of their marriage? When did you two get togeather in relation to there seperation?
they signed papers the first time in jan 06. but she didn't move out till march 06. but he bought her a house and she signed the papers again sept 06. so when jan 07 came around and he filed for a divorce she got a lawyer. he didn't feel like going to court so he settled again and papers were signe..again. but the ex wanted to date changed to march 06. come to find out she was planning on taking me to court when the divorce was final. but he put in the last agreement that she wouldn't take me to court. she signed and the divorce should be final june 07. but i still feel like she's up to something. so i was wondering if she could still take me to court..and win.

i first started talking to him the end of may 06. i had nothing to do with the sep. or divorce. but of course she is claiming i did. her lawyer wants to try a case like this. so she said she would do it for free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">