• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what grounds?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bcc073

Hi, I hope someone out there could help me with this issue. I will give you as much background info. as you need if it may help with any solutions.
First, I have been married for almost 6 years. I want a divorce, I'm in NY and there are only 5 grounds recognized for divorce. The problem is I can not use any of them. My husband has no commited adultery, he doesnt abuse me and etc.
We knew each other for only a few months before we married. We have two children. There is a religious difference that causes tension. He works making 8.5 an hour to support a family of 4, he has no ambition to find a better paying job. I can not stand the way I live, barely getting by. Is there anything I can do to get out???
If anyone needs more info. please let me know

I

Illinois Dad

New York Has A Version of No-Fault Divorce

New York does not have no-fault divorce as such. Instead, New York's version of a no-fault divorce requires that the spouses live apart from one another for at least a year before a divorce can be filed. The parties must execute a Separation Agreement, which must be filed with the local County Clerk before the one-year period begins to run. The spouse suing for divorce must prove that he or she has substantially performed the terms of the Separation Agreement to obtain a divorce. If you obtain a divorce based on a written Separation Agreement, you don't have to sign any papers or give any testimony about reasons for the divorce. In other words, no personal allegations against either spouse are necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">