• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens to Finances/Assets in this case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rajcs25

My Wife is playing lot of games and behaving extremely badly.
She is blackmailing me for many things and telling that i will take divorce if...
She is not spending a single penny for our common expenses even though she earning a lot of money officially.
She has as a matter of fact hardly contributed around 500$ so far in our common living, entertainment and other expenses while i have paid for all the expenses. All this time she was earning a lot of money
She is also pregnant with my child, i thought she will get brains and have some heart, but so far in all her months of pregnancy she did not improve.

I understand that if she takes a divorce touch wood, i hope she doesnt and understands by mediation, but if she does, than I have to pay for Child Support and Courts decide based on certain factors

In the event that happens, here are my questions

1) We have been married for 14 months. Does she have part in any of my assets acquired prior to Marriage?
2) Does she have part in any of my assets acquired during marriage? She has been also earning all the time during marriage and asked me to spend all the money
3) Can she claim for alimony if she is still earning money?

We live in NJ.

Just Blue

She is blackmailing me for many things and telling that i will take divorce if...
She is not spending a single penny for our common expenses even though she earning a lot of money officially.
She has as a matter of fact hardly contributed around 500$ so far in our common living, entertainment and other expenses while i have paid for all the expenses. All this time she was earning a lot of money
She is also pregnant with my child, i thought she will get brains and have some heart, but so far in all her months of pregnancy she did not improve.

I understand that if she takes a divorce touch wood, i hope she doesnt and understands by mediation, but if she does, than I have to pay for Child Support and Courts decide based on certain factors

1) We have been married for 14 months. Does she have part in any of my assets acquired prior to Marriage?
2) Does she have part in any of my assets acquired during marriage? She has been also earning all the time during marriage and asked me to spend all the money

We live in NJ.
Hire an attorney to assist you.:(

Proserpina

You do realize that this is the mother of your child you're talking about...right? It certainly appears that she's not the only one at fault in this marriage.

We live in NJ.

1. Generally no, but it depends.

2. Yes of course.

3. She can request alimony but the chances of her being awarded it are slim given the circumstances.

I do hope you'll let go of your obvious disdain.

(If only for the sake of the child)

rajcs25

Thanks for the information

I still have questions.

Does the court consider earned assets of both or just male?

I could have written whole bunch of behavior that she is doing , but everyone has stories and i dont want to bore anyone with all the stories. I do not want a divorce. I am asking these questions in case she files for divorce.
I have clearly told her you mind your own business i mind mine, we live together and i will take care of expenses of child. But she does not listen and again whole lot of other things she is doing which i dont want to write here. If you really want to hear all that,i can write it..

Bottom line is if she takes this insane step, what does court do in this regards, if she files for divorce and if there is no evidence in the world of me harming her in any way or no evidence of me telling her anything that i should not have said....

You do realize that this is the mother of your child you're talking about...right? It certainly appears that she's not the only one at fault in this marriage.

1. Generally no, but it depends.

2. Yes of course.

3. She can request alimony but the chances of her being awarded it are slim given the circumstances.

I do hope you'll let go of your obvious disdain.

(If only for the sake of the child)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
One does not have to have a specific reason to ask for divorce. It may be that she's just not that in to you any more. The courts don't care that you never harmed her or that you never said anything you shouldn't have (although "...you mind your own business i mind mine" is probably something that you shouldn't say to your new spouse :rolleyes:)

It sounds to me like a divorce is far from an "insane step". Why do you want to stay married to this woman? :confused:

ETA: The court doesn't care about the gender of the parties involved when it comes to assets or debts.

Proserpina

Thanks for the information

I still have questions.

Does the court consider earned assets of both or just male?
In NJ both parties are considered.

I could have written whole bunch of behavior that she is doing , but everyone has stories and i dont want to bore anyone with all the stories. I do not want a divorce. I am asking these questions in case she files for divorce.
That's just as well - her behavior (and yours) won't really enter the equation. You're not blameless, obviously.

I have clearly told her you mind your own business i mind mine, we live together and i will take care of expenses of child. But she does not listen and again whole lot of other things she is doing which i dont want to write here. If you really want to hear all that,i can write it..
Nope, we don't want to hear it. Largely because a) it doesn't matter and b) her side of the story will likely be quite different.

Bottom line is if she takes this insane step, what does court do in this regards, if she files for divorce and if there is no evidence in the world of me harming her in any way or no evidence of me telling her anything that i should not have said....

She does not need your consent for a divorce.

If she doesn't want to be married to you she will obtain a divorce at some point.

Bali Hai

We live in NJ.
If she makes more money than you, and you were married 10 more years, you would stand to collect some of her paycheck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If she makes more money than you, and you were married 10 more years, you would stand to collect some of her paycheck.
Did you happen to read the OP? I'm genuinely curious, because your answer does no good for the OP as it was clearly stated that they've been married for 14 months.

TigerD

For the OP: I am struck at the casual way you said:
It makes me wonder how abusive you are -- not if you are, I already determined that I think you are -- just how much you are.

I hope it isn't physical abuse, but I'm concerned.

DC

Bali Hai

For the OP: I am struck at the casual way you said:

It makes me wonder how abusive you are -- not if you are, I already determined that I think you are -- just how much you are.

I hope it isn't physical abuse, but I'm concerned.

DC
Yeah, OP has clearly expressed displeasure, frustration and disapproval of his wife's behavior. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for having this opinion. If there isn't a law against this, they should declare an emergency and make one ASAP.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Proserpina

Yeah, OP has clearly expressed displeasure, frustration and disapproval of his wife's behavior. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for having this opinion. If there isn't a law against this, they should declare an emergency and make one ASAP.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're still at it?

Sigh. Bali love, you really need to get some therapy. What you've written here is not helping the OP. You didn't even read his original post properly. He's been married a very short time. Comprendez vous?

Oh hang on - is it that time of the month where you have to send a check? Okay, now I understand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">