• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if she changes her mind?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lizap1

Michigan Family Law

My brother is getting divorced on 08/13. His wife is still living in the same home as him as he has no legal right to kick her out until the divorce is final. They have both signed a settlement so it would be an uncontested divorce. He was told that they wouldn't even see the judge when they go to court in 2 weeks as long as both parties agree.
My question is what if she changes her mind in court and says she no longer agrees with what is in the settlement? What if she doesn't show up to court on that day? This has truly become a nightmare for him, he lives in the state of Michigan. If anyone has answers please help, any advice is appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

Michigan Family Law

My brother is getting divorced on 08/13. His wife is still living in the same home as him as he has no legal right to kick her out until the divorce is final. They have both signed a settlement so it would be an uncontested divorce. He was told that they wouldn't even see the judge when they go to court in 2 weeks as long as both parties agree.
My question is what if she changes her mind in court and says she no longer agrees with what is in the settlement? What if she doesn't show up to court on that day? This has truly become a nightmare for him, he lives in the state of Michigan. If anyone has answers please help, any advice is appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
if wife doesn't agree, she is within her legal right to request a hearing. same as husband.

if she doesn't show up, is the paperwork already signed and filed? are they both summoned to appear?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">