• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are my chances?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1qazxsw2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I'm in Ohio. I have been finishing my Bachelors degree for the past few years while also being a stay-at-home dad for my three young children. My wife is active duty military and has been the primary source of income for 2+ years. I am clearly the superior parent, but I fear that she will seek custody because the stigma suggests that she is supposed to. What are my chances of gaining full custody of my kids? Would it be more advantageous to remain unemployed or have an adequate job? Please help.

Proserpina

I'm in Ohio. I have been finishing my Bachelors degree for the past few years while also being a stay-at-home dad for my three young children. My wife is active duty military and has been the primary source of income for 2+ years. I am clearly the superior parent, but I fear that she will seek custody because the stigma suggests that she is supposed to. What are my chances of gaining full custody of my kids? Would it be more advantageous to remain unemployed or have an adequate job? Please help.

If you've been the primary caregiver, you should stand a pretty great chance of remaining the primary caregiver (though it's not guaranteed).

Is Mom deployable?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Gaining full custody is going to be close to impossible based on what you have stated due to the fact that there is a presumption towards shared parenting in the state of Ohio. Did you take your classes online or attend a brick and mortar school? How old are the children? Who arranged for their medical treatment? Daycare? Met with teachers? What are the children's wishes? What are mom's wishes? Is either of you planning to relocate? Is there any domestic violence convictions between the two of you? Has CSB ever been involved? How involved are the children with the community?

1qazxsw2

more info

Ohiogal,

My children are: almost 5, 2.5, and 1.5. I have always been the one to arrange and transport to and from child care and medical appointments. My oldest will start kindergarten in Aug. I went to wright state for education degree (no online classes). Furthermore, when my wife gets home she is nearly worthless. I still change all diapers, prepare meals for kids, give baths and put them to bed (kids sleep with me). With the exception of her breastfeeding each child for 6 weeks after birth I have always been the one to wake up when a child needs something (bottle, diaper, pascifier, sick, etc.). Many nights she will walk in on the phone and ignore us all until she has changed and finished her conversation (not work related), then she will sit on the couch and complain about how tired and stressed she is while I do everything. I am certain that she wouldn't truly want the responsibility of primary caregiver, she would pursue it due to the societal norm. Also she will be deployable or possibly change duty stations in 1.5 years. I hope that clears things up; thanks for your assistance.

Antigone*

The fact that you stayed home with the kids does not make you a superior parent. So how are you going to support your children without a job?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ohiogal,

My children are: almost 5, 2.5, and 1.5. I have always been the one to arrange and transport to and from child care and medical appointments. My oldest will start kindergarten in Aug. I went to wright state for education degree (no online classes).
So the children have been in daycare.

Furthermore, when my wife gets home she is nearly worthless.
Love the respect you have for your wife. Superior parents don't badmouth the other parent of the children.

I still change all diapers, prepare meals for kids, give baths and put them to bed (kids sleep with me).
Where does your wife sleep?

With the exception of her breastfeeding each child for 6 weeks after birth I have always been the one to wake up when a child needs something (bottle, diaper, pascifier, sick, etc.). Many nights she will walk in on the phone and ignore us all until she has changed and finished her conversation (not work related), then she will sit on the couch and complain about how tired and stressed she is while I do everything.
She very well may be stressed and tired and wish she had a supportive spouse. Have you ever asked her to help with the kids?

I am certain that she wouldn't truly want the responsibility of primary caregiver, she would pursue it due to the societal norm. Also she will be deployable or possibly change duty stations in 1.5 years. I hope that clears things up; thanks for your assistance.

Consider the fact that you will most likely end up with shared parenting. You also might end up having parenting evaluations completed. YOu will be imputed with an income for child support purposes.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm wondering why the kids need day care if dad is home with them all day.:confused:
Because dad is NOT a stay-at-home dad. He fibbed. He attends Wright State at the actual University. And I highly doubt the three angels attend classes with him.

Antigone*

Because dad is NOT a stay-at-home dad. He fibbed. He attends Wright State at the actual University. And I highly doubt the three angels attend classes with him.
Just like my mama said: "cuando mientes, te van a salir sapos de la boca." All I can say is I hear "ribbit"

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
BTW, OP - one of the posters you blasted is an attorney. In OH. Too bad you burned your bridges here - you could have gotten some valuable input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">