• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my legal rights regarding personal belongings once I leave the house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sule4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I'm facing separation and probably a divorce. What are my rights regarding the personal belongings that I can't pack in 1-2 suitcases during my initial exit from the common household. My soon-to-be-ex is threatening that she will destroy/give away everything that I leave behind the first time I step out of the house.
Is there any way that I legally protect my belongings (books, souvenirs, photos...) until I take them all out?

xylene

I mean why are leaving your books / photos/ souvenirs / mementos and stuff like that behind?

You can take more than 1 suitcase.

tuffbrk

Of course she doesn't have the right but since when has that stopped an angry stbx? If you're headed to someone's couch, you can check the cost of renting a small storage space. Many storage facilities also have vans/smaller box type trucks that you can use/rent to move your belongings. It's time consuming to go through every bin, box and container to separate your belongings but with a relative or friend helping it can be done in a day.

sule4

Why are YOU leaving the marital residence?
After a 6months my wife re-started her drama (yelling, door slamming, name-calling, threatening...) every time name of my son from the 1st marriage is mentioned in our house. Situation has been pretty bad for years (my son is not visiting us at all thanks to the 'welcome' atmosphere my wife manages to put up from time to time), but it escalated last October when I almost left the house. Only some magic and bio-energy session put my wife in completely different (positive) state of mind that probably wore off after 6 months.
Otherwise, we have pretty good marriage and not major disagreements in other areas of our life (common kids, finances, education...). However, I can't live with somebody who apparently does everything possible to keep my first son away from me thanks to her unreasonable jealousy towards my ex-wife (that I do not even have contact with).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
After a 6months my wife re-started her drama (yelling, door slamming, name-calling, threatening...) every time name of my son from the 1st marriage is mentioned in our house. Situation has been pretty bad for years (my son is not visiting us at all thanks to the 'welcome' atmosphere my wife manages to put up from time to time), but it escalated last October when I almost left the house. Only some magic and bio-energy session put my wife in completely different (positive) state of mind that probably wore off after 6 months.
Otherwise, we have pretty good marriage and not major disagreements in other areas of our life (common kids, finances, education...). However, I can't live with somebody who apparently does everything possible to keep my first son away from me thanks to her unreasonable jealousy towards my ex-wife (that I do not even have contact with).
Truthfully you need to NOT leave the house and file to KEEP the marital residence. File in the next few days PRO SE and ask for temporary possession of the marital residence and custody of your mutual children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">