• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Is My Next Step?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

creditchaos

What is the name of your state? OH
My husband filed for divorce 11 months ago in NY using the services of Legal Aid. I received a copy of the summons stamped with the county seal and the date it was filed. I also received another paper which I signed and returned per Legal Aids request.
While in NY visiting family I went to the County Clerks office as I had never received a copy of the divorce decree. I was told that it was filed but never went any further. That is all the info I was given.
I went to the Legal Aid offices but they were closed for the holidays. I am also assuming that they will not discuss this with me as they are assisting my husband....not me. I have to go back to Ohio Sunday so I cannot go there again to speak with them to find out what I can do, if anything, to get this sorted.
My husband is unable to do anything as he has been ill and in the hospital (now in a skilled nursing facility) since October 2004. He is also unable to call Legal Aid and get any info because due to a disability he cannot always retain/remember info given him.
Is there anyway to save this ?

LdiJ

creditchaos said:
What is the name of your state? OH
My husband filed for divorce 11 months ago in NY using the services of Legal Aid. I received a copy of the summons stamped with the county seal and the date it was filed. I also received another paper which I signed and returned per Legal Aids request.
While in NY visiting family I went to the County Clerks office as I had never received a copy of the divorce decree. I was told that it was filed but never went any further. That is all the info I was given.
I went to the Legal Aid offices but they were closed for the holidays. I am also assuming that they will not discuss this with me as they are assisting my husband....not me. I have to go back to Ohio Sunday so I cannot go there again to speak with them to find out what I can do, if anything, to get this sorted.
My husband is unable to do anything as he has been ill and in the hospital (now in a skilled nursing facility) since October 2004. He is also unable to call Legal Aid and get any info because due to a disability he cannot always retain/remember info given him.
Is there anyway to save this ?
I think that you are going to need to consult with an attorney in NY. If you can get the case in NY dismissed you could then file yourself in OH. However you may also be able to push the case forward in NY...but you really need the advice of an attorney.

rmet4nzkx

What was this document you signed and returned to legal aid? Was it a separation agreement?
How long have you been married?
What type of divorce?
What are the terms of settlement and or support?
Do you have children?
Property?
Pensions?
How long have you been separated?
Do you want this divorce?
Is this divorce meant to protect assets due to his disability?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">