• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my obligations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Redrover

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My husband and I are separated but I don't know if we will reconcile or go on to divorce. His behavior has been extremely strange during this time and now he has told me (by email only) that we need to start splitting the bills and other expenses (to somehow make our relationship more equitable). He makes more than twice what I do but is still wanting a 50/50 split of everything. In the absence of proceeding to divorce, what can he legally compell me to pay towards all household bills and expenses?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My husband and I are separated but I don't know if we will reconcile or go on to divorce. His behavior has been extremely strange during this time and now he has told me (by email only) that we need to start splitting the bills and other expenses (to somehow make our relationship more equitable). He makes more than twice what I do but is still wanting a 50/50 split of everything. In the absence of proceeding to divorce, what can he legally compell me to pay towards all household bills and expenses?
Nothing, actually.

You are both responsible for household expenses and if you fail to pay, the creditor will come after both of you. The only exception would be a bill which is only in one person's name.

Redrover

A number of our household bills have only a single name on the account. I discovered this when I was unable to make a change to the home phone. Even things like our electric bill, satellite TV, internet service etc. have a single name. Things like insurance and the mortgage are in both names. So, does this change my obligation if my name is not on the bill?

nextwife

If he wants to have the satellite TV, internet service etc, and it's in his name only, let HIM either cancel it or pay for it himself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">