• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rjjoyce

What are my options? NH

What is the name of your state?New Hampshire--My cousin is in a quandary. She has been separated from her husband for 1.5 yrs. He has been paying a small amount each month for she and their 5 yr. old son. She has been living with her son in an apartment, going to school full time to finish her degree, working part time. She has only enough in her budget for these things. He has stopped paying her anything since filing for divorce this month. As a result, she cannot afford a lawyer, cannot afford to continue school, and cannot get a good enough non-degree job to afford to take care of her son and live in the apartment. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

nextwife

Without a court order, he has no obligation to pay for your eductation.

A whole lot of us completed our educations without having any husband, boyfriend, or parent out there paying for it. Apply for a student loan, get a job, and take couple semesters more to finish school, if necessary. My sis just finished school three years ago, and she didn't have anyone else helping her - she worked, used student loans, and did it all by herself.

Is this a long or short term marriage? Did you support him while he finished school and now he is supposed to be paying you back for paying for his education?

LdiJ

nextwife said:
Without a court order, he has no obligation to pay for your eductation.

A whole lot of us completed our educations without having any husband, boyfriend, or parent out there paying for it. Apply for a student loan, get a job, and take couple semesters more to finish school, if necessary. My sis just finished school three years ago, and she didn't have anyone else helping her - she worked, used student loans, and did it all by herself.

Is this a long or short term marriage? Did you support him while he finished school and now he is supposed to be paying you back for paying for his education?
That's all well and good....but it doesn't sound like he was providing much money each month, nor do you know whether or not she is ALREADY utilizing student loans. I suspect that she is, since it doesn't sound like he has been paying enough to finance a full time curriculum.

His timing also stinks, since most likely she has already paid for next semester.

My advice to her is to drop a class or two, and work more hours until the issues are resolved. She also needs to file for child support ASAP...as Rmet suggested.

nextwife

LdiJ said:
That's all well and good....but it doesn't sound like he was providing much money each month, nor do you know whether or not she is ALREADY utilizing student loans. I suspect that she is, since it doesn't sound like he has been paying enough to finance a full time curriculum.

His timing also stinks, since most likely she has already paid for next semester.

My advice to her is to drop a class or two, and work more hours until the issues are resolved. She also needs to file for child support ASAP...as Rmet suggested.

The original post was heavilly edited after I posted. In the original post, the person was speaking of themself, not a third person, didn't mention any child, and only said that they were seperated and her husband wasn't sending her money for her education, which she needed two more semesters to finish, how could she complete it?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">