• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CAKESGIRL

What is the name of your state? new york:( My husband walked out of our marrigge, i receive little support, I am aware that he has an annuity fund through a union, He is no longer working with that union, but the fund is still there am intitled to half of this. Also he did not file taxes for quite a few years and then I filed alone head of house hold, with earned income credit. The IRS held me responsible for the entire amount, and i got now refunds for the three years i filed. Can i get back half from him out of his uninity? Will a lawyer help me with this issue and take what i owe him when i get the money owed to me?

P

pegasus1969

Check with your local IRS office and work with them. I believe you can file for spousal relief and receive your part of the tax refunds if you are not at fault. If it states in the Divorce Decree that you are entitled to half of the pension or whatever in the union account, you will probly have to do as I did and file a QDRO, Qualified Domestic Relations Order. Make him pay for all this. And if he refuses, tell him you will file charges against him for contempt. This what I was told by an attorney. But you need to get an attorney to help you through this. There are cheap attorneys out there willing to help. Someone has posted the website on a couple other posts on here. Check it out. Hope it goes well. Good Luck.

C

CAKESGIRL

:confused: I JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU FORYOUR ADVICE. DEALING WITH THE IRS ISSUE HAS BEEN MURDER. I HAVE WORKED WITH THEMAND FILED AN INNOCENT SPOUCE FORM, BUT WAS DENIED. I WAS TOLD THAT I WAS BEING HELD RESPONSIBLE BECAUSE THE YEAR THAT WAS OWED WE FILED JOINTLY. MORE OR LESS THEY GET THE MONEY WHERE THEY HAVE TO. I FILED FOR YEARS 99-2001 ALONE AND ALL MONEY WAS HELD. THERE IS STILL A BALANCE AND IT IS ACCURING INTREST AT A DAILY RATE AND WILL BE DEDUCTED FROM 2002 REFUND UNTIL IT IS PAID. THEY ARE NOT GOINGAFTER HIM BECAUSE HE HASNT FILED AND UNTIL HE DOES THERE IS NOT MUCH THEY CAN TRUE, HOW LEAGLE THAT IS IDONT KNOW BUT IVE PAID CLOSE TO 12,000 IN TAXES AND WILL STILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE NEXT YEAR. EVEN THOUGH THE BULK OF THE TAXES OWED WAS UNDER HIS SS THEY SAY IT DOES NOT MATTER BECAUSE WE FILED TOGETHER,IAM REALLY SICK ABOUT THIS BECUASE FOR 8 MONTHS ME AND MY 4 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER AT THAT TIME, WOND UO IN A HOMELESS SHELTER AND I DONT WANT TO GO BACK. I HAVE NO FUNDS FOR A LAWYER AND THATS IT WHY I ASKED ABOUT THE UNITY FUND, I HAD HOPED THAT WHEN I GOT THE MONEY I COULD PAY LAWYER WITH THOSE FUNDS BUT IT SEEMS THEY DONT WORK THAT WAY, AND I AM STUCK, HOPING TO HIT THE JACKPOT WITH SOME HELP FROM THIS FORUM. NOT LOOKING FOR EVEN STEVEN JUST LOOKING FOR JUSTICE AND TO KEEP ME AND MY DAUGHER FROM THAT WAY OF LIFE AGAIN, AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IT WAS MUCH APPRECIATED.

P

pegasus1969

Does the county/state/city you live in have some sort of legal aid department? My boyfriends' ex did the spousal relief thing to him and lied about the taxes saying she didn't know what she was signing when she signed the joint tax papers. And they went to a well known tax preparer. She got relief and he got stuck with the bill. Lawyers fees included. She went through a legal aid thing in the county she lived in in KY. Check to see if there is some sort of free legal aid for your city/state/county. My boyfriend knows I am telling you this because he is the one helping me through my divorce problems. He has been divorced twice and knows where to look or who to ask for the advice. And he filed for divorce on both accounts. They got pregnant by someone else while he was in the service. He does alot of his investigating on the web on search engines. Does someone have the web address for those attorneys that are pro bono or pennies on the dollar. A divorce decree is a legal document rendered by a court and signed by a judge. When you sign the document you are agreeing to it. Take his ass to court and make him pay for the cost and all. Good luck. If we figure out or come up with something else we will let you know. :D :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">