• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imovedon

What is the name of your state? California

I am trying to find out what my rights are.
Background:
My STBXW owned her house with her parents before we were married. We were married for a total of 27 months with a 6 month separation in the middle of that. I moved out two years ago. I filed for divorce a year ago, trying to do it in pro per. She then got an attorney and is trying to claim tens of thousands of dollars of debt, which she refuses to produce any documentation for. I left the house with nothing (just wanted out), including most of my personal belongings. She has said that she has sold my belongings and will not return any of what I ask for. I wanted to end this quietly and nicely, but since it is not going that way, I want to know if I have any rights to her house? We both made $3,000 a month and every last penny was spent (she handled the finances). There was no mortgage, except a loan that she was repaying her parents for the house (she said). I paid the property taxes on the house. I paid most to all of the household bills, I have the bank statements to prove it. We never had a joint credit card or joint bank account. We have no children. No property. Since the separation, she has refinanced her house and it doubled in value. We both bought new cars since the separation, hers is of higher value than mine. I have a suspicion that she has hidden assets from me (like I paid for everything while we were married and she just deposited her paycheck in a hidden account) but that is just a guess.

I just want to know, do I have anything? Am I going to owe her? Is she going to owe me? Do I have any claims in the house? Am I screwed? If she proves all this debt will I have anything to offset it in the house? (I believe there is no debt because I paid it off during the marriage, but like I said, I was not in charge of finances, she was. She asked for checks and I willingly signed them out, never seeing bills.)

imovedon

Thank you for responding. I guess I failed to mention that I do have an attorney, I am just not sure he is doing all he can for me and was seeking some outside opinions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">