• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pakunic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia. I am seeking a divorce from my husband. I have 2 daughters, 13 and 9 years of age. We currently reside in Richmond where we relocated from Newport News a year ago. Both daughters wish to return to Newport News to attend school there. I have been a full time mother for the past 13 years. I have no intention on keeping their father from having regular contact with them, the two cities are 58 miles apart. What legal step do I have to make so that the three of us can move and register for school? Are my hands tied? Does the fact that I would not be moving out of state make a difference? I feel that my husband would do everything in his power to hinder the seperation and divorce process...in effect keeping us in his "control". Am I stuck?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia. I am seeking a divorce from my husband. I have 2 daughters, 13 and 9 years of age. We currently reside in Richmond where we relocated from Newport News a year ago. Both daughters wish to return to Newport News to attend school there. I have been a full time mother for the past 13 years. I have no intention on keeping their father from having regular contact with them, the two cities are 58 miles apart. What legal step do I have to make so that the three of us can move and register for school? Are my hands tied? Does the fact that I would not be moving out of state make a difference? I feel that my husband would do everything in his power to hinder the seperation and divorce process...in effect keeping us in his "control". Am I stuck?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You file for divorce, ask for temporary custody, and explain to the court that you'd like permission to take the girls to live in Newport News. If you live on the Richmond side of Newport News, it wouldn't be a huge inconvenience, but I wouldn't do it without the court's approval.

The problem would be if your stbx is thinking in terms of shared physical custody. In that case, your move to Newport News would interfere - and he would be likely to ask the court to reject your request.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">