• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are the options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

devilishfrench

Georgia

My friend has been married for 22 years and his wife just left 2 weeks ago and there is a big chance that she file for divorce,which was suppose to happen but only in 2 years to protect their 16 years old son.

The relationship is over for 5 years but they are still married and living together for the well-being of their 16 years old child.
My friend is the only one to have an income his wife wanted to raised their kids, recently her compulsive spending got worse and the way she treat him also.

My friend thought he would wait for his son to turn 18 before doing something but apparently she decided otherwise.

What can he expect?
They've been married for 22 years, she spent most of those years not working, she has been classified disable (even if she has very little problems) and they have a 16 year old child.

How will they share their possessions?
Can she claim the house using those fact leaving him without anything?
How about spousal support?
His son won't make a choice so who will he end up with?
My friend is affraid that after all that the money he will make won't even be enough for him to live, is it possible? What are is option?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
> How will they share their possessions?

They will be split in an "equitable" manner.

> Can she claim the house using those fact leaving him without anything?

Most likely the equity in the house will be split between then - either one will have to buy the other out, or the house will be sold and the proceeds split.

> How about spousal support?

After 22 years, she's been a stay-at-home mom, and she's disabled - he may well have to pay alimony.

> His son won't make a choice so who will he end up with?

The son will probably be able to say which he'd prefer to live with, but if the parents don't agree between themselves, a judge will decide. The parent who does not have custody will have to pay child support.

> My friend is affraid that after all that the money he will make won't even be enough for him to live, is it possible? What are is option?

Anything is possible. Your friend would be wise to consult with a lawyer in his state to find out what his rights are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">