• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What rights do I have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LCraft

What is the name of your state? Virginia
Ok here goes. I have been with my husband 22years, married 10 of those years. Thoughout the time we have been together he hasnt allowed me to work. Threatening to go on the job if I got one and yank me out of there. There has been physical and alot of emotional abuse throughout our whole marriage. Now this is my question. We have 2 kids, my youngest 17 just graduated this June from High school. He has pretty much verbally abused our 2 boys and they are getting at the age now where they are ready to fight back. Is there a way that I can force him to leave? Is there a way I can keep my home? His attitude is that since he has paid the bills the whole time we were together that everything is his. What rights do I have if any?

usmcfamily

Since this is obvioulsy not going to be an amicable parting you would be wise to seek an attorney.....they will be able to more fully advise you of what to expect when they look at your specific circumstances and the particular legalities in your jurisdiction.

kat1963

You'll have to obtain a court order or agreement for him to leave the marital home here in VA. You need to seek the advice of a good family law attorney. VA is an equitable distribution state. You would be entitled to the equity of the home from the time you married (not lived together, unless you are on the mtg/deed, there is no commom law here) until the time it is sold, court ordered or otherwise disposed or stipulated to.
Child support is until 18 or 19 if not graduated but still attending HS full time...if you get custody. Alimony is on a case by case basis, but with 10 years you have a good shot. Again, you'll need a GOOD family law attorney.
Good Luck!
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">